Should I be alarmed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vikesfankevin

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so I did a water change today. Last one was about 14 days ago I think. I had been treating the tank with Aquari-sol for the last 11 days or so because 2 of my glowlight tetras were acting weird. One was kind of panting at the top of the water and he is still pretty skinny and the other had like a white fungus growing on him(it wasnt ick) so I started the treatment. The one is almost clear of his fungus and the fish seem to be acting normal.
Today I had a yoyo loach die randomly. They seemed fine. But when I finished my water change the water was real cloudy from stuff being stirred up and I looked at it and there are a bunch of tiny white worm like things. I dont know what they are but I'm kind of concered for my tank now even tho the fish have been acting normal. Anyone know what this is and if this is trouble?
Thanks

FWIW you will probably want to do weekly water changes...

What are your water parameters?

Don't know what the wormlike guys are but we might be able to figure out why your loach died and your tetras were looking poorly.

I know I should be changing the water more. I have been very busy...I know poor excuse. Let me go do some water tests.

Get a test kit. I recommend API FW Master Test Kit. Test for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAtes DAILY! Report your parameters here. If your ammonia and/or nitrItes are .50ppm or more, then do a 50% water change.

More than likely the meds killed your bacteria and you're going to be starting a cycle. Read up on the nitrogen cycle to understand what your tank is going through.

You should be doing 10-25% water changes weekly on a regular basis.

What size is your tank? What and how many fish do you have? How long has the tank been set up? Did you initially cycle the tank? What chemicals/medications do you use/have been using in your tank? For how long? What doses? Do you use a dechlorinator on your tap water when you do a water change? Do you vacuum the gravel? What are your current water parameters?

Please answer these questions so we are more informed to help you. ^_^

Ok well keep in mind I just did a water change but my Nitrates or whatever are at .25 and my amonia is at .25-.5. The temp has been kinda fluxuating between 78-84. The weather around here has been crazy lately.
It was weird with the loach because they are always swimming around. They even grab food pellets from the top.

Get a test kit. I recommend API FW Master Test Kit. Test for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAtes DAILY! Report your parameters here. If your ammonia and/or nitrItes are .50ppm or more, then do a 50% water change.

More than likely the meds killed your bacteria and you're going to be starting a cycle. Read up on the nitrogen cycle to understand what your tank is going through.

You should be doing 10-25% water changes weekly on a regular basis.

What size is your tank? What and how many fish do you have? How long has the tank been set up? Did you initially cycle the tank? What chemicals/medications do you use/have been using in your tank? For how long? What doses? Do you use a dechlorinator on your tap water when you do a water change? Do you vacuum the gravel? What are your current water parameters?

Please answer these questions so we are more informed to help you. ^_^

I put a lot of that in my intro on the other section but anyways I have a 29 gallon. Its been up with fish for about a month I think and about 5 and a half weeks with fish. I have been adding fish every 7 days or so.
I introduced bacteria and put a fake plant in the tank a week before I added fish.
I put some aquarium salt and stress coat in the water when I started and add stress coat when I add new fish.
Right now for fish I have 5 glowlight tetras(lost 1 or 2 I believe) I did get 3 of them from petco which might be the problem...
5 Neons(lost 1 a day after I got him)
5 Gold Tetras
2 Emerald corys
2 Loaches(started with 3 but lost 1 today)
2 ancistris temeki or whatever
1 otoci alget eaters
1 pregnant guppy

2 bunches of java moss
I do have a vacuum thing for the gravel

The only thing I have treated them with was the stuff I listed in OP
normal tap water

The worms are most likely nematodes caused by overfeeding. How often are you feeding? You will need to do another water change and keep testing. You are probably seeing a spike due to lack of water change and overfeeding. I would also quit using the aquarisol. There are other meds that will be less harsh on your system. Also medicating without having a specific illness can be detrimental on the fish.

Not sure if aquarisol affects loaches as they are scaleless but that may be the cause of the loach death. Sorry for the loss of the loach.

Upon reading the ingredients in aquarisol I know it is not good for your loaches. It contains copper sulfate. I would also add some fresh carbon to your filter to aid in the removal of the copper.

Last edited:
We need water parameters-- I'm hazarding a guess that your tank is cycling and may have had a spike and sickened your tetras/killed the loach.

You are using dechlorinator with your PWCs, yes?

I don't think you need to be adding salt and stress-coat.

Ok, your tank is not cycled, it never was. You should stop adding fish. You've only had the tank for 4 weeks or 9 1/2 weeks and you've already too busy to take care of it?? Maybe you should return the fish if you're not up to the maintenance required to keep the fish not only alive, but also well.

You need to add a dechlorinator like Prime to the tap water that you add during your pwc's and top-offs. The chlorine kills the beneficial bacteria, of which you have none (no matter what bogus product you used in the "beginning").

The worms are most likely nematodes caused by overfeeding. How often are you feeding? You will need to do another water change and keep testing. You are probably seeing a spike due to lack of water change and overfeeding. I would also quit using the aquarisol. There are other meds that will be less harsh on your system. Also medicating without having a specific illness can be detrimental on the fish.

Not sure if aquarisol affects loaches as they are scaleless but that may be the cause of the loach death. Sorry for the loss of the loach.

Upon reading the ingredients in aquarisol I know it is not good for your loaches. It contains copper sulfate. I would also add some fresh carbon to your filter to aid in the removal of the copper.

Ok I wont use that stuff any more. It says not to use with shrimp and amphibians but doesnt say anything about scaleless fish.
I may have been over feeding. I feed them 2-3 times a day and I do a combo of different stuff including sinking pellets. I was worried my bottom feeders wernt getting enough food.

Ok, your tank is not cycled, it never was. You should stop adding fish. You've only had the tank for 4 weeks or 9 1/2 weeks and you've already too busy to take care of it?? Maybe you should return the fish if you're not up to the maintenance required to keep the fish not only alive, but also well.

You need to add a dechlorinator like Prime to the tap water that you add during your pwc's and top-offs. The chlorine kills the beneficial bacteria, of which you have none (no matter what bogus product you used in the "beginning").

Well the reason I got behind is I am starting a new comission job so I have been doing a lot of hours but I had my guard weekend so I went over 2 weeks without a day off. Now I have a set schedule and no guard weekend for another month.

Since the tank isn't cycled you should back off feeding to 1x/day with as much flake food as can be eaten in about a minute. You can safely skip a day every so often as well.

Since the tank isn't cycled you should back off feeding to 1x/day with as much flake food as can be eaten in about a minute. You can safely skip a day every so often as well.

Another question. I have heard a few things about cycling. I want to know for my next tank. They say cycle it without fish but I have also heard you need fish or there isnt anything in the water to cycle. which is right?

The reason for cycling with fish is that fish produce Ammonia which the bacteria you build up in your tank during the cycle convert into Nitrites and then other bacteria convert the Nitrites to Nitrates. However, this isn't very kind to the fish so fishless cycling is recommended. Instead of using fish, you can add fish food which will rot and produce Ammonia which will then help to cycle your tank instead.

To fishless cycle, you either add fish food, raw shrimp/prawns, or straight ammonia (w/ no surfactants- it can be tricky to find) to keep the ammonia level between 3-5ppm for an extended amount of time to build up the ammonia-eating bacteria (which convert it to nitrite, and then the nitrite-eating bacteria convert it to much less harmful nitrate, which is removed with regular PWCs).

the white worms arent bad they will stay till your tank is clean try getting a oto or something they will keep your tank cleaner, and for the fungus not sure, sorry about your loach dont know whhat could have caused it.

Thanks everyone. I will just try and let me tank cycle and hope the fish make it. Next time I will do a fishless cycle. I was so excited to get it going. I will have this tank when I do get my bigger tank so I wont be so anxious.
While I'm typing I will ask another question. I will have 4 corys and I have 2 loaches now and I am debating whether or not I should just get 1 loach to replace him or should I get the 3 that are together at my LFS to make a total of 5. They are all pretty small right now. I have a 29 now but plan to get a way bigger tank in about a year from now. What do you guys think.

Do you know how to cycle the tank with fish?

You need to test for ammonia and nitrites daily and do partial water changes with dechlor to keep levels of both ammonia and nitrite below 0.5.

If they rise above 1.0 your fish are in real danger.

I would not feel safe relying on a schedule for partial water changes while the cycle is ongoing. Instead, use test results as your guide. During certain parts of the cycle, levels can rise quickly.

You'll know the cycle is complete when you have nitrAtes, but no ammonia or nitrites anymore.

Do you know how to cycle the tank with fish?

You need to test for ammonia and nitrites daily and do partial water changes with dechlor to keep levels of both ammonia and nitrite below 0.5.

If they rise above 1.0 your fish are in real danger.

I would not feel safe relying on a schedule for partial water changes while the cycle is ongoing. Instead, use test results as your guide. During certain parts of the cycle, levels can rise quickly.

You'll know the cycle is complete when you have nitrAtes, but no ammonia or nitrites anymore.
So I should be doing partial water changes then?

Back
Top Bottom