Should I be concerned?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pmdonnelly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Started a new tank nearly a month ago. Thought I was near the end of cycling.

Readings 02/05 pH = 7.2, Ammonia NH3/NH4 = .25 ppm, Nitrate NO3 = 5.0 ppm

Readings 02/09 pH = 6.8, Ammonia NH3/NH4 = 0 ppm, Nitrate NO3 = 10.0 ppm

Are these fairly normal readings? Should I be concerned about any of these? I could be slightly off since I am trying to match colors to a card...

Thanks

Looks like your are cycled. <Assuming that you are adding an ammonia source & it remains at zero.> Although to be absolutely sure, you should test that nitrites are zero as well.

The pH drift may be a problem. It is fairly normal to see the pH drop during cycling, and with a large water change, you should be able to get that back to the 7.2 before you add fish.

Water at pH of 7.2 has relatively low buffering capacity. <You can test for the KH, the theoretical KH is ~2 degrees.> You prob can keep it stable when you have fish & are doing weekly pwc's. I would be monitoring that closely for the first few weeks. If it start to drift down, you might consider adding some crushed coral/shells/limestone to increase the buffering capacity & prevent a pH crash.

Ah, you are doing a fishy cycle ....

In that case, I would worry about the pH drift. <That is assuming that the reading is accurate ... I can never tell the color too well to be 100% sure.>

I think you should check the pH of your tap & see where you are starting from & compare that to the tank. <Since I can't be too precise with the color card, I usu. run the tests in two separate test-tubes & compare the test tubes side by side.> Also, it would be useful to test the tap water after it had sat out overnight (preferably aerated in a bowl) to see if the tap water has a tendency to drift.

Also, what is the water change history. That might give a clue as to what is going on.

If the pH is indeed drifting downwards, it is an indication of inadequate buffering capacity and you should consider adding a buffer to maintain pH stability. <Crushed coral is prob the most fool-proof way of doing this.>

Back
Top Bottom