Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

should i get a 75 gal free tank?

I was just cruising craigslist (dangerous, I know) for aquarium supplies and someone is GIVING away a 75 gal full set up because they don't have time for the hobby anymore. It comes with everything but stand, which is ok for me, but it does come with some fish: angels, tiger barbs, and chinese algae eater. I don't like the idea of angels with barbs, so I have a few questions.

1) Both of my 55gal tanks are just turning one year. My water is beautiful and the fish are happy. I only have 6 giant danios and a BN pleco in my 55gal because I could never make up my mind as to what to put in it. Do you think I could transfer some of the filter media and all of the tigers into my 55gal tank from the 75 and just watch for a mini cycle and be fine?

2) How big do algae eaters get?

3) should i even pick this up?

Old 04-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I say bigger is always better. Especially at a free price tag. However, if your stock it light, you may not "need to". I bought my 75 at 100 bucks just for the aquarium...
Old 04-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, of course, go get it right now before someone else does.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd get the tank, for sure.

The CAE will do fine in that tank, as a sole specimen. But be forwarned that as it matures, it gets more aggressive, definitely towards other algae eaters but it will annoy other fish. Also, it will slow down with the consumption of algae. You can always give it away if you don't want it.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

A better question would be " why wouldn't you get it"? K. It would be a no brainer for me!!! OF COURSE U NEED IT !!!
Old 04-11-2012, 02:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

ok, now if the guy would just get back to me! i'm dying to know! does anyone have any suggestions on how to safely look for a new home for a fish you don't want?
Old 04-11-2012, 02:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I give mine away on freecycle.org. It's fast, it's easy, it's painless.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

ok, i will try that site now to see what it's like. Had anyone had luck with rehoming a CAE? I feel bad for the little guy, I don;t even know if I can get the tank and I'm already thinking of ways to get rid of it. Maybe I'll just see how things go.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Post on the classifieds section on here. I had an ad up on craigslist for free guppies for weeks and I posted it on here. The next day I had a guy meeting me to take them all. You never know.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

ok, than i feel a little better about it. we will even see if this guy still has the tank. also, he claims to have angels and tiger barbs together. i thought this was a big no no, but has any one successfully done this combo? i think that question should be a new thread. thanks everyone
Old 04-11-2012, 03:28 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think it will be hit or miss. Also if the angel is full grown I doubt a barb would pick on it. I have an angel in with diamonds, kribs, and geos. No problems with nipping at all. I've also busted the angel/neon myth as well. The only thing my adult koi angel would eat is guppy fry/adults. The tetras are just too fast.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:05 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could ask your LFS to take any unwanted fish, they might even give you some store credit.

Tags
free, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com