Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-31-2016, 07:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Should I lower pH?

Hey!

This is my first post so here goes! I am currently in the research phase for setting up a 20g neon tetra tank. One apparent problem is that my tap water's pH is too high. It's 7.8 but I've read that neons like slightly acidic water around 6.5. I was wondering if this jump in pH is too high and I should try to lower it (using drift wood, peat, etc..). I only want to do this if it is absolutely necessary since neons are sensitive and the pH would fluctuate during water changes. Any thoughts? Thanks!

P.S.

Besides the tetras, there will be African dwarf frogs and red cherry shrimp in the tank if that makes a difference.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Welcome to AA!
Fish are quite flexible in regards to pH. Rather than try to attain a target pH value (which you have to manage moving forward), work on stability by using your tap water and not altering it.
Any idea what the pH is on the tank the neons are currently in?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 07-31-2016, 09:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks for the advice! I have no idea what the pH would be as the fish are at my LFS.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com