Should I Move The Fish????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I got ICK in my Main tank. in my tank I have rams,pearls,cardinals,and a pair of rare kribs. I have had a 40 gallon breeder set up for the kribs for 3 weeks now and Its a tank just for them to breed. In that tank i can use some API Super Ick Cure on them treat them with Salt and Heat. In the main tank I can only treat with Heat because of the types of fish and plants I have in it.

Heres my questions, The tank I want to transferthem to has a much different PH and Water Softness, The tank they are in has PH-6.4, and is being turned into soft water so its Medium water not had but not as soft as it is going to be. If I drip Acclimate them will they be ok? They just has ick badly and no one else shows much sign of it. What should I do?

I think your other tank is a 75, right? You could maybe try to siphon off a bunch of the water from your 75 into 40, thereby making the parameters much more similar and less likely to stress an icked fish. You can then slowly change the parameters back to whatever breeding setup you desire.

I think your other tank is a 75, right? You could maybe try to siphon off a bunch of the water from your 75 into 40, thereby making the parameters much more similar and less likely to stress an icked fish. You can then slowly change the parameters back to whatever breeding setup you desire.

well the problem is I dont have any Ro/Di water right now to top of the 75, Tomorrow ill be getting 30 gallons of it but my 75 is upstairs and my 40gallon is 2 stories below me. I guess I could take them down in 5gallon buckets.

Moving any fish right now will move the ick with the fish. Also if they are badly infected they might not be ok with the move to different water. Can you treat them first and then drip acclimate them once they are healed?

Moving any fish right now will move the ick with the fish. Also if they are badly infected they might not be ok with the move to different water. Can you treat them first and then drip acclimate them once they are healed?

lol...I want to treat them with meds to cure them ASAP so I want to move them to QT...The other fish are replaceable these Kribs are very hard to find and cant be replaced, I cannot lose them. Im trying to figure out if I can use this med in my DT but I dont know yet cant find anything about it.

What do you have in the old tank that you cant med?

Just dont know if it will hurt plants or my cardinal tetras, German blue rams, pearl gouramies, Kribs Picture of the tank

The stuff has 1.3 MG benzaldehyde and 1% PVP in each 5ml

img_1627146_0_8489e843fd8d98c2aca491c11c1a8df0.jpg

Yes it can hurt the plants and possibly the cardinals. You are in a tough situation. Moving the fish may end up being harder on them than treating them in their own tank.

If you want to try treating them in the main tank, try using 50% of the meds.

API contains malachite green which can also stain things in the tank.

What about moving the plants out of the tank first then treating with 50%?

Or turn the heat up to 87F and do some extra water changes.0

I've heard of people using malachite green before without harm to plants. From a quick search, I've seen people claiming that malachite green was bad for plants without having tried it, and people claiming to have used malachite green without dieoff.

They can quite easily be treated in a bucket. Also they would be quarantined in a bucket. As mentioned, in the circumstances the op is facing, there are some choices to be made to save the fish.

Back
Top Bottom