should I rehome my nerite snail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James_in_MN

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My current residents of my 20g high tank are:
10 black neon tetras
5 five banded barbs
2 female bettas
3 ottos
10+ ghost shrimp
1 nerite snail

And in my 10g tank I have:
6 narrow wedge harlequin rasboras
1 pygmy gourami (planning to add 2-3 more)
10 red cherry shrimp
4 amano shrimp

I'm starting to believe that I have too much competition for algae in my 20g tank between the ottos and nerite snail. Since the amano shrimp are both algae eaters and scavengers, I'm debating moving my snail to my 10g tank. I also don't typically see the amano shrimp trying to eat algae off the tank walls, so that would belong all to the snail if I moved it.

Thoughts?

James_in_MN said:
My current residents of my 20g high tank are:
10 black neon tetras
5 five banded barbs
2 female bettas
3 ottos
10+ ghost shrimp
1 nerite snail

And in my 10g tank I have:
6 narrow wedge harlequin rasboras
1 pygmy gourami (planning to add 2-3 more)
10 red cherry shrimp
4 amano shrimp

I'm starting to believe that I have too much competition for algae in my 20g tank between the ottos and nerite snail. Since the amano shrimp are both algae eaters and scavengers, I'm debating moving my snail to my 10g tank. I also don't typically see the amano shrimp trying to eat algae off the tank walls, so that would belong all to the snail if I moved it.

Thoughts?

Are you supplementing their diets with algae wafers? That will provide food for them...but it does seem a little clean up crew heavy for a 20 gallon.

Yes, I add algae wafers for them. Sometimes, unfortunately, my five banded barbs and female bettas will also pick at it, when they're not eating the shrimp pellets I leave for the ghost shrimp. The ghost shrimp will go after the algae wafer too.

I never see the nerite snail going after the algae wafer though. The ottos will eat the algae wafer and algae off the walls and plants, while the snail is only left the walls and whatever it may find on the aquarium floor.

Well, I moved it to the 10g, and it's already moving around the tank (it was sitting still alot in the 20g). I'm starting to wonder if the snail might not have been getting enough to eat in the 20g.

Back
Top Bottom