Should I Worry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saa5886

Aquarium Advice Freak
I decided to re-do the decoration portion of my tank today, and added new gravel (wanted a different color) and a new piece of driftwood to the tank. I boiled the driftwood for an hour before placing it in the tank, and also boiled and thoroughly cleaned the rocks before-hand.
I also added three new fish to the tank today... a female guppy, another cory catfish, and a dwarf gourami.
While doing all this customizing of the tank, of course, I removed all the fish so I wouldnt accidentally hit one of them in the head and kill them. They were moved into another small tank, with the same exact water.
Once I finished with the decorating, I let the filter run because the tank was foggy from messing with the sand (I have a little patch of sand in there, they seem to enjoy it). It ran for probably 2 hours, til the tank was clear enough that I could see through it again.
Well, I figured the fish probably werent happy being in such a tiny space, and decided to move them back into the newly decorated tank at this point...
Well, not 5 minutes later I noticed some kind of... tiny tiny tiny white fuzzy dots (not hairlike or wormlike, just dots like the size of the tip of an inkpen). They are everywhere in the tank! Covering everything but the fish.
I googled it and all I found was some kind of worm, but this is not a worm at all. They do move with the flow of the water, but are mainly just stuck to everything in the tank.

So, is it from the driftwood (even though it was boiled for an hour)? The new fish? Why did it happen right after I added the fish back into the tank?

Are you sure it's not air bubbles? SOmetimes I get those when I put new water in, and my fish get them on them too when that happens.

If they degrade the viewing quality of the tank, you could probably take a colorless paper towel or napkin and use it to wipe down the inside glass.

My tank usually gets "inside dust" whenever I clean my filter and it ejects some stuff. The water clears out but the glass looks "smudged on the inside" - I just use a paper towel to wipe it off, or wait for the snails to draw little trails in it. ;D

white and fuzzy? sounds like broken down uneaten food. let it settle down and clean your sand with a gravel cleaner.

Well, I've woken up this morning and all of it is gone... it definitely was not air bubbles. I know what bubbles look like thank you lol...
Yeah they were tiny little fuzzy things that flowed with the water flow. Upon closer inspection they appeared to be a rounded-triangular shape. I guess it could have been uneaten food, but since all the gravel is brand new there couldnt be much uneaten food left.
Anyhoo, the tank looks so much better now. Very natural looking and the fish are loving it! The shrimp love the hiding places and sand, the mollies love the driftwood, and my adorable new gourami is just happy as can be. Very spunky.
Unfortunately, my male guppy doesn't seem to be noticing the new female I got for him. He's still in love with my female molly. Maybe someday lol

Back
Top Bottom