Should my angelfish be eating more?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freybizzy

Aquarium Advice Regular
A few weeks ago I purchased 2 young angelfish for my 55 gallon aquarium and they acclimated fairly quickly, establishing their territory in a heavily vegetated spot and eating ravenously. However, they now seem somewhat timid about coming to the top and eating, often completely ignoring feeding time altogether. They don't seem non-energetic or anything, but I'm just wondering if this is normal since most sources tell me angelfish tend to be extremely aggressive eaters. I noticed this behavior started shortly after adding some rainbow fish to the aquarium - could the angels be afraid of these (since they are a bit smaller)? Or is this behavior normal? Any feedback would be appreciated.

My angel fish are monsters, they're always waiting for me to drop food in, I'm not going to ask what else is in the tank because mine are in a very large community, my bigger ones eat the most but my two smaller ones get their cut. They will come around

I think they will be fine in time. The rainbows might be freaking them out a little bit with there fast movement.

Does it look like the angels tails are getting nipped at? They hate that, faster moving fish usually do that. And rainbows usually occupy the upper and middle part of the tank right? That could also be a factor

Have you added driftwood by any chance? My angel ate nothing but white slime on the wood while it lasted. If not, try sinking some meaty foods (frozen brine shrimp, perhaps?) and see if it perks the appetite. It could just be that the rainbows are busy but I'd also watch for signs of illness in case the rainbows brought something else along with increased activity.

Back
Top Bottom