Showpiece fish suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcor

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all, we have a 250litre tropical freshwater tank set up. Currently home to 12 assorted danios, and 6 platys. We shall be getting a pair of BN plecos in a few weeks, but are looking for suggestions for good compatible show-piece fish (big, bright and colourful). The tank has a huge assortment of live plants, rocks and driftwood/bogwood. Any suggestions are very welcome!

Hi all, we have a 250litre tropical freshwater tank set up. Currently home to 12 assorted danios, and 6 platys. We shall be getting a pair of BN plecos in a few weeks, but are looking for suggestions for good compatible show-piece fish (big, bright and colourful). The tank has a huge assortment of live plants, rocks and driftwood/bogwood. Any suggestions are very welcome!

I don't know much about what is available as a centerpiece fish, but my personal centerpiece fish is a dwarf gourami. Supposedly you can only have one of them and it needs to be an a peaceful tank. I read they are docile to a fault and will let other aggressive non species fish stress them to death without protecting themselves. It is different with their own kind though. I read Grouami are aggressive towards each other, but extremely peaceful with other species. Again, just make sure you do not have him in with someone that will bother him. I have neon tetras, cherry barbs, guppies, platies, kubotai botia and otocinclus and they all get along fine with my dwarf gourami.

Mine is a decent size and swims all over the place.

Thank you! Yes, definitely loving the dwarf gourami. That had been on my mind before we even got the tank. Still, keeping options open if anyone can suggest any other contenders. :)

Thank you! Yes, definitely loving the dwarf gourami. That had been on my mind before we even got the tank. Still, keeping options open if anyone can suggest any other contenders. :)

I have a 20g with guppies, tetras, glo-danio, corys, red fin cats, and my center piece is German Blue Ram. The only time he chases away the others is when I give him tubeflex worms that are squished on the side of the tank. He waits every morning to be fed! He is a really pretty! How many you can have together is beyond me... sorry!

Dwarf gouramis are great choices but for some reason I believe gouramis get sick easier, not sure why. I have lost a few in the past both powder blue gouramis and dwarf gouramis. Usually some type of flesh eating disease. But still great fish!

My show piece fish in one of my tanks is a rainbow shark. I think he is magnificent and is a great show piece. There are quite a few other fish in that tank as well including zebra danios, black mollys, a pleco, a synodontis catfish, jewel barbs, tiger barbs and corys.

How about an electric blue ram? they are generally fairly peaceful and they look spectacular! i have an electric blue jack dempsey and he is my showpiece fish, would probably be a bit too lively for your tank though. With gouramis i have currently have 2 dwarf gouramis, and an opaline gourami who is huge, and they all live peacefully

Maybe an angelfish? You could probably get a pair! Dwarf gourami I feel would be too small for this tank. But a bigger gourami would work

Is that your tank in your tag picture? Looks good, wouldnt mind seeing a bigger pic of it. You fancy uploading one?

Is that your tank in your tag picture? Looks good, wouldnt mind seeing a bigger pic of it. You fancy uploading one?

I most certainly shall. Must take one first though. I've not photographed the whole thing in one shot yet - only focused on trying to get shots of the inhabitants so far! :)

Excellent suggestions. I've not really thought of angelfish. And the ram is an interesting looking fish, for sure! Sharks I've not considered before as mental image always assumes it'll be aggressive. We're quite liking the idea of pearl gouramis possibly, though how many? Still toying with our options. Going to add some tetras and (if I get my way) some guppies too.

Excellent suggestions. I've not really thought of angelfish. And the ram is an interesting looking fish, for sure! Sharks I've not considered before as mental image always assumes it'll be aggressive. We're quite liking the idea of pearl gouramis possibly, though how many? Still toying with our options. Going to add some tetras and (if I get my way) some guppies too.

Have a look at congo tetra. Theyre are just stunning. Infact the pictures or videos on youtube wont do them justice. My lfs have some that are 3 inchs with metalic greens reds oranges blues.. Just beautiful and definitely the jewels of all tetra, theyre also the biggest and males can grow 8-9cm and for a schooling fish, a large group is a striking sight to say the least.

Technically, the Rainbow shark isn't really a shark neither is a Bala shark. But they can be a little aggressive but it usually just depends on what it is with. Rainbow sharks do seems to go after things with red tails though.

Just by the way a ram would be a terrible centerpiece fish. They stay to the bottom and are very small. So no one would really notice. You could have 2 pairs no problem in your size tank though!

I must say, I am rather taken with the opaline gourami suggested above. Considering it should live happily with dwarf gourami makes it even more appealing. Thank you all for your suggestions and opinions, this is making for excellent research! Keep them coming!

I must say, I am rather taken with the opaline gourami suggested above. Considering it should live happily with dwarf gourami makes it even more appealing. Thank you all for your suggestions and opinions, this is making for excellent research! Keep them coming!

It's a chance that'll go fine with a dwarf gourami. Two gouramis aren't recommend. Even though it could work it might not

That opaline gour looks loverly! and im not usually a fan of gouramis. I still think a large group of congos are a match for any fish, even salt water fish for their nature and personality. The more the better, the group mentality does it for me lol. Theyre extremely active, playful and boisterous. The males race each other up the length of tank and the group dynamic is unmatched. Gours kinda just lounge and tootle around by themselves but theyre pretty.

Oooh I must say, a quick google image search has got me hankering for some Congo tetras. That's one to run past the husband. (It's his tank - 30th birthday present).

Here we go, our 250ltr beast of a tank. It's very empty looking at present!

Attachments

• image-2611086670.jpg
    image-2611086670.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 131
Back
Top Bottom