Showpiece for a 20 Gallon FW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luna09

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey!
Just looking for suggestions for a single, non-aggressive showpiece fish for a 20 gallon community aquarium.

Currently residing in which, is

1 male honey gourami,
4 neon tetras,
3 harlequin rasboras,
5 dwarf neon rainbowfish,
3 amano shrimp.

Any suggestions welcome, but I am really looking for something non aggressive, and unique.
I've been doing some research but as this is the last addition to the tank, I want to take my time and look at as many different types of fish as possible. I'm not overly experienced and know there are many types of freshwater fish I haven't heard of.

Thanks in advance !

I would be happy to get more if they looked healthy from my LFS but every time I go there they have no colour and some are always dead... Not willing to compromise how healthy everything at home is.

Yes, one of something special is preferable. I looked into FW eels but I'm afraid they are too delicate and demanding. I'd be afraid that it wouldn't get enough food. I also looked into maybe a female krib but my friend had one that was quite nippy.

They really are gorgeous, what do you think of Bolivian rams? Which is better for a beginner? I've had a few tanks over the years but all my fish have been easy-going beginner fish like tetras and guppies.
I did the whole cichlid thing for a bit but I prefer planted tanks.

Luna09 said:
They really are gorgeous, what do you think of Bolivian rams? Which is better for a beginner? I've had a few tanks over the years but all my fish have been easy-going beginner fish like tetras and guppies.
I did the whole cichlid thing for a bit but I prefer planted tanks.

Bolivian rams are hardier than Germans. I have a male in my 29 community and he keeps to himself.

That tank really is full already but if you keep up on WC's and have good filtration one ram isn't going to do much for the bio-load. As stated Bolivian Rams are hardier but not as colorful as German Blue Rams. GBR's should only be added to an established mature tank and you have to keep nitrates very low as these fish are sensitive to it. I'd say the Bolivian is more of a beginner fish, or at least an easier fish and is compatible with your stock.

Thank you all so much for your time. The tank is well established and growing lushly with swords, anubias and tiger lillies. A Bolivian ram sounds like a very good choice.

Back
Top Bottom