Shredding fins on Cories?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jnizzle

Aquarium Advice Regular
My cories are getting shredded fins! its not bad yet but im not sure whats causing it. Water params are good. Tankmates are a betta, 7 serpae tetras, bristlenose plec, and ghost shrimp. Im suspecting either the tetras or my betta have been nipping them, but the fins are splitting too which makes me think its not nipping. Please Help!!

Any sharp decor? What are your parameters?

my driftwood is sort of sharp, but they wouldnt be cutting their fins on it i dont think. params are
PH: 7.6
AMMO: 0ppm
NITRITE: 0ppm
NITRATE: 0ppm

Ive been doing about 40% WC every three days or so

I highly suspect the betta or the serpae tetras, the betta known for sometimes being a bully and the serpaes nippers. Observe your tank closely for about fifteen minutes and see if anything is off.

I highly suspect the betta or the serpae tetras, the betta known for sometimes being a bully and the serpaes nippers. Observe your tank closely for about fifteen minutes and see if anything is off.

yeah the serpaes usually stick to nipping eachother, and my betta is mellow, in fact his fins have been splitting too :/

The tank is probably planted.

How big of a tank? A betta probably wouldn't pester cories in a decent sized tank, but the serpaes definitely might.

On my test kit the yellow is 0ppm and orange is 5ppm, and its yellow, so somewhere between 0-5ppm more tward 0 though!

But it is planted yes?

IME, betta are only dangerous in small tanks where they can catch other fish. In bigger tanks, they are mostly just blowhards because they are slowed down by their fins so much that other fish can usually get away. That, and they are more surface level fish too.

My money's still on the serpae.

But it is planted yes?

IME, betta are only dangerous in small tanks where they can catch other fish. In bigger tanks, they are mostly just blowhards because they are slowed down by their fins so much that other fish can usually get away. That, and they are more surface level fish too.

My money's still on the serpae.

yes i have a few swords, hornwort, anacharis, and ludwigia in there.

id say if anyone the serpaes are at fault too, but the fins are more splitting than chunks missing. weird!

Back
Top Bottom