shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stevieb2k11

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can i have crystal red shrimp in my tank with ember tetras csrdinal tetras if so what other fish can i have with them in a 65ltr tank or os that to small fpr the shrimp

how many of each do you have in the tank?

*edit* yes they are ok with amber and cardinal tetra.

depends on the size of the shrimps because they will eat and pick at babies and juves and will pick until dead at the adults

crystal red shrimps are expensive delicate species so i would advise not to mix this species with fish including that are a bit harder to breed than neo cardina species. what are the grades of crystal shrimps that you are getting

depends on the size of the shrimps because they will eat and pick at babies and juves and will pick until dead at the adults

Never had problems with my any of my tetras or harliquins with the shrimp i keep and they were only 1cm when they were added.

I think it really depends on the tetras themselves. Some will leave shrimp be, others will harass them and most will eat babies if they find them. They can move around quite a lot and get to upper levels of the tank.

I find in general that fish which prefer surface feeding are less likely to bother shrimplets. Danios of several species I've kept have allowed a large population of both Snowball shrimp and Ghost shrimp to grow into adulthood with very little predation.

Bottom feeding fish are much more likely to take baby shrimp, and any fish that's happy bottom picking, like guppies, will take them.

Crystal shrimp tend to be expensive, unless you are getting somebody's culls, and even then, more expensive and much harder to keep than most Neos. I wouldn't keep them with fish.. but that's me. Others may have differing opinions.

What shrimp at resonably priced and good woth those types of fish i have 5 cardinals and 4 emba tetras just looking for something idffrent xox

What about fan shrimp ? Bamboo, A. moluccensis or Giant Africans, A. gambonensis ? They are very interesting to watch, quite tolerant of a fair range of conditions, though they do like harder water than crystal shrimp do. Most come from streams where water is fairly hard and a bit alkaline. Won't have babies though, they need salt water for their larvae to develop.

What parameters do you keep in the tank ?

one thing for sure i know for sure that when you arent looking or whenever they want to the so called safe shrimp tankmates will eat the shrimp when they want to. except otocinclus cats, pygmy cores, and panda loaches i dont know about any other for sure safe tankmates but these are for sure safe

Back
Top Bottom