shrimp and gourami mix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquazen

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am thinking about adding some tiny shrimp into my 10 gallon. I currently have 3 ghost shrimps in there with no problems. My concern is that the shrimp I will be adding in will only be about 1 cm long. They will be in the company of my dwarf gourami and several guppies. Would it be safe to add them to the tank, or should I start up a new tank for them so they won't get eaten? Will they even get eaten by the dwarf gourami? Or am I just worrying for nothing?

If they fit in the fishes mouth then the chance they will be eaten is high. It also sounds like there is enough in your tank already. As the tiny shrimp grow up they will add to the bioload (depending on numbers). Your tank sounds perfect already. Any pictures?

If you really really want more shrimp try a new tank.

It depends on the type of shrimp you get before it adds to the bioload. If you are adding more ghost shrimp, go ahead, their bioload is relatively small so you can add a few more. The way to introduce them, if you are afraid of them getting eatten, is to use a tube, have the end of the tube close to thick foilage or another hiding area where fish do not regularly stay at and just pour the shrimp down the tube. Maybe they will get eaten, maybe they won't. Just depends if you are feeding your fish enough.

Cheers :)

It depends on the gourami - some will eat the shrimp, some won't - same with bettas. Make sure you have lots of foliage hiding places for the shrimp.

My tank

Here's the addy to my photos. I took some pictures just a few hours ago of the tank. Feel free to take a look. :)

http://vernonschiu.multiply.com/photos

My tank currently has Goro "fry eater" dwarf gourami, 1 Pooper the "clown" pleco, 2 male and 2 female guppies, 2 guppy fry (it was 3), 1 albino and one 'regular' cory, and 3 ghost shrimp.

I've planted some moneywort, red ludwigia, lily bulbs, and this other thing that I don't know the name to. A little bit of it was in the bag when I bought the moneywort, now it grows like a weed!!! I'll be getting some dwarf hairgrass, rotala, riccia, java moss and a variety of ferns by the end of next week. Hrm...means I gotta set up that CO2 injector. Have to go guzzle that 2L of grapefruit juice I have in the fridge! :)

So do you think adding maybe 6 tiny shrimp guys will kill the eco-system?

Not if they are tiny, but they do grow. It depends on what they are and their maximum size.

Your tank looks nice! I love fish pics..... I might go take some of my guppies now :D

Thanks. :wink:

But you know though. The entire reason I started a tank was mainly as an underwater bonzai project. The fish are just extra decor to add a bit of life to the canvas. So I can't wait for the new plants. :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom