Shrimp changing color

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sinuhe

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought a shrimp, I believe a Ghost Shrimp, 2 weeks ago, and he was light brown, translucent in color. A couple of days later he "reshelled", or whatever that's called when they leave their old shell and grow a new one :lol:. A few days after that, I noticed that he'd turned very dark brown in color, and he's stayed that way ever since. Do you think that's because of the new shell, a different diet, or something else? I don't have previous experience with shrimp. He seems to be doing perfectly fine, no sign of disease as far as I can tell.

Hmm, yeah, I don't think it's a Ghost Shrimp after looking online, but neither does it look like Amano shrimp. The closest I was able to find, based on pictures, was a Boxer Prawn shrimp http://www.shrimpcrabsandcrayfish.co.uk/Shrimp.htm?Shrimpfr.htm~mainFrame (6th from top). The size matches, since mine is about 6cm/ 2½ inches long. The LFS had different shrimp in the tank, and didn't know their specific names (it's a very good and knowledgeable store, but apparently shrimp aren't their specialty :lol:).

Hehe. I know!

You do have a ghost shrimp! Check out my gallery. My ghost shrimp have also lost their transluscence from time to time. However, it only happened in some of them. It might have to do with a) which ones were able to reconsume their previous shells and b) the sex of the shrimp. But these are just speculations. Here's the pic of mine with a little less transluscence: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1651&password=&sort=7&thecat=500

Also, there are 2 species commonly sold in the US: Palaeomonetes kadiakensis and P. vulgaris. They look similar, but there might be a difference in mature specimens not often noted...

Hmmm, that does look a lot like my shrimp, but mine is still darker brown in color (or more like a mix of dark and light brown). Odd. He was never totally clear in color to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom