Shrimp, cory cats, or otos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tropical

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have 8 neon tetras, 4 platy, a bolivian ram (female), and a mystery snail in a 20 long tank with a 200gph filter.

I want to add one more type of fish, sort of like a clean up crew (not to replace regular pwc of course), and have narrowed it down to either 6 pygmy cory cats, 4 otos, or 4 or so shrimp (either amano or red cherry). What do you think would be best?

I dont know what would be "best" but I love the cory cats and hands down would choose that. Their so peacefull and fun to watch.

Ive got both corys and otos in my tank and love both of them. That would be so hard to choose between them. I'd probably pick Pygmy corys though :) because I've never had them before and they're so cute coz they're small. I imagine they don't have quite as much personality though.

It depends on whether you have algae. Otos NEED algae. They do not serve as a clean up crew, because they are vegetarians. They often refuse algae wafers or veggies, depending on the batch.

If you want something to eat leftover fish food and be a cleanup crew, I say go with pygmy cories.

Rosenweiss said:
It depends on whether you have algae. Otos NEED algae. They do not serve as a clean up crew, because they are vegetarians. They often refuse algae wafers or veggies, depending on the batch.

If you want something to eat leftover fish food and be a cleanup crew, I say go with pygmy cories.

Very good point :)

Back
Top Bottom