Shrimp help pls :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PleaseHelp

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had an interest in shrimp. They look so bright and colorful! Could anyone please tell me about them, which ones i should get, and info on them? I have a 50 gallon with 4 danios 2 platies 5 neon tetras 3 red tetras and 2 botia loaches (these may be a concern, as they are bottom feeders and quite nippy! I could try to deal with them maybe?)I have 3 plants, i will try to get more, and 1 is wilting :( I have a tube, a large hollow castle, and some toy barrels for hiding. So are there any shrimp that would be fine with my aquarium? I could adjust, such as getting more plants. Help appreciated!

Greetings! Glad to have a new member here.

Amano shrimp get larger so those would be less prone to being eaten. However they are hard to find and some can be expensive. Cherry shrimp would do well because they breed quickly. Something you may want to do would be to get some more bottom cover. I haven't seen your tank so I'm not sure where you are with that. I would suggest getting some anubias. The types of plants shouldn't matter much as long as you provide cover on the bottom. Java moss would also be much appreciated.

You would be doing good by supplementing with some cucumber, shrimp pellets, and algae tabs about once every few days to once a week depending on colony size.

Here is are some basic care sheets that should help:
Caresheet: Amano shrimp | Aquariadise
Fishkeeping - Caresheets - Yamato Shrimp (Amano, Japonica or Algae Shrimp) - Caridina multidentata (was Cardina japonica)
Caresheet: Cherry Shrimp | Aquariadise
Red Cherry Shrimp, a guide to breeding and keeping
Ideal Freshwater Aquarium Plants For Your Shrimp

Hope that helps! - Raymond

Thanks a lot! I will plant my aquarium. It is by my window, which gets ehhhhh light. The side that the light comes through has a background on it, so that might block some, but the light is pretty good. I found what seems to be a good deal on ebay for 4 cool shrimp, could you verify if they are okay, i would like to look into purchasing them. My LFS being petsmart, is pretty bleh on variety, the only have ghost shrimp. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Orange-1-...LE-/181640908986?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368 that is the link
Thanks!

Not at all! You may want to look on Aquabid though, more reputable sellers and you know you can trust what you're getting. I personally don't like Ebay very much anyway. I've only ordered once online and there weren't any DOA's. I ordered from Shrimp USA and it was great! Even in winter all came alive. I agree with Amano shrimp though, they clean and are easy to keep. Even my German Blue Ram has figured out not to screw around with them lol. I would start with Amano's and then once you feel more confident move on to cherry shrimp. Hope this helped!

I don't really like the coloration of amano shrimp, and as a kid, can't afford that many. I think i MAY try my luck with cherry shrimp. I will watch carefully though! Thanks so much!

What you would want to do would be to get a group of like 12 and release them at night once your tank has the vegetation fill up. (a nice t8 fixture with floramax bulbs would help, not terrible expensive too. aqueon has cheap onces so you should check your petco) Make sure you acclimate them just like fish. Releasing them at night should give them a better chance to hide and survive.

A good plant to start with would be water wisteria. And java moss. Try to refrain from gravel vacuuming often because the leftover food would help feed the plants and the shrimp once they are in. That being said, it is still okay to gravel vac once in a while, but there is no real need assuming proper parameters are kept.

Try getting some ghost shrimp first. Like 5. If they get slaughtered by the botias then yes XD

How long has it been set up? Once you have a mature tank maybe about 5-6 months you might consider a Bamboo / Flower /Singapore Shrimp, they have lots of names, read up on them and they are filter feeders and need very clean water but food in it to filter out. That is why a mature tank is preferred. Plenty of maintanence/pwc.

I would suggest ghost shrimp to start out with. While they lack in color they're cheap and you can get an understanding on how to care for the shrimp properly. View attachment 273252 at about 50 cents a piece they're cheep and some can be quite funny. I've caught mine riding my betta before.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom