Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 07-25-2013, 03:54 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Louisville Ky
Posts: 39
I'm with reefdiver panty hose work great
__________________

__________________
Ronnie05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:19 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishCr8zy's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,458
Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
You can't see it very well due to my camera not being able to zoom and focus at the same time and the overwhelming crotch kick of green from the plants all around but here is the black female I have. She isn't nearly as black as the original shrimp I had but she looks pretty nice.
Is it the shrimp on the dw? It looks awesome! The only black shrimp I've seen are the cbs but they are striped with white. This one is full black!
__________________

__________________
It wasnít until 1853 in London when aeration and filtration of water was understood, that people
were able to keep fish as indoor pets.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,625
Yep. There's a ton of color variations on the RCS. Check out the Black Sakura shrimp. That's about what the original looked like but with a little more dark blue tinting.
__________________
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:57 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishCr8zy's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,458
Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Yep. There's a ton of color variations on the RCS. Check out the Black Sakura shrimp. That's about what the original looked like but with a little more dark blue tinting.
I've heard of black Sakura shrimp but never really saw it for sale so I've never seen it. Man, now I'm hyped for black shrimp .
__________________
It wasnít until 1853 in London when aeration and filtration of water was understood, that people
were able to keep fish as indoor pets.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:27 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
reefdiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: LittleRock
Posts: 1,033
Have you heard of the black gorilla I think it's what it's called. I saw a pic and it was black as night.
__________________
reefdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:29 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
reefdiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: LittleRock
Posts: 1,033
Sorry it's King Kong shrimp. I think they would be nice in white sand
__________________
reefdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:26 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishCr8zy's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,458
Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefdiver View Post
Have you heard of the black gorilla I think it's what it's called. I saw a pic and it was black as night.
Lol! Black gorilla vs King Kong shrimp :p.
I've seen those too. And yep, black shrimp on white sand would be cool lookin.
And mebbid, what did you decide to use to cover the intake?
__________________
It wasnít until 1853 in London when aeration and filtration of water was understood, that people
were able to keep fish as indoor pets.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:44 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishCr8zy View Post
Wow! A jet black wild rcs..... That sounds so awesome! And you tank does look like there are quite a lot of hiding spots :p. Is there a jet black males too? Or can it just be another color male breeding with her but the babies are stil black?
Well my basic understanding of genetics. The female is half black and I don't have any other black males so I would assume none of her direct offspring would have the black trait unless I got lucky and mated her with one of her brothers or sisters. But the generation after that there should be some black babies with a higher percentage being black and hopefully blacker every subsequent generation. That being said I'm not sure.

I have 5 empty 10 gallon tanks so I could really breed 3 different colors if I really cared to But at the very least I would like to do the green and red. I will attempt to breed the black but no guarantees.

I have started a thread about the breeding of my shrimps at http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ml#post2581681 if anyone is interested in following along.


As for covering the intake, I think I am going to go with pantyhose.
__________________
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:29 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishCr8zy's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,458
Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post

Well my basic understanding of genetics. The female is half black and I don't have any other black males so I would assume none of her direct offspring would have the black trait unless I got lucky and mated her with one of her brothers or sisters. But the generation after that there should be some black babies with a higher percentage being black and hopefully blacker every subsequent generation. That being said I'm not sure.

I have 5 empty 10 gallon tanks so I could really breed 3 different colors if I really cared to But at the very least I would like to do the green and red. I will attempt to breed the black but no guarantees.

I have started a thread about the breeding of my shrimps at http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ml#post2581681 if anyone is interested in following along.

As for covering the intake, I think I am going to go with pantyhose.
Yup, green as reds are cool. And for black you would have to find a black male so that could be hard/expensive. Is wasabi shrimp the same thing as your green shrimp or totally different? And yeah, pantyhose is what most people go for.
__________________
It wasnít until 1853 in London when aeration and filtration of water was understood, that people
were able to keep fish as indoor pets.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:33 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,245
I love shrimp! I have a 36 bowfront that is going to be a nano tank woth shrimp breeding in it. I am trying to decide if I should just stick with red cherries or buy some blues to mix in. I dont know how to get wild types.
__________________
God is amazing. The proof is in the pudding and the pudding is everywhere
African Leaf Fish Tank Build
GodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:56 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishCr8zy View Post
Yup, green as reds are cool. And for black you would have to find a black male so that could be hard/expensive. Is wasabi shrimp the same thing as your green shrimp or totally different? And yeah, pantyhose is what most people go for.
The genes are there for the black. If no black males turn up then, in the worst case scenario it will take 2 generations for more black shrimp to turn up. It would certainly speed up the process if I could find a black male though.

The Wasabi shrimp are Cardinia while the ones I have are Neocardinia. Two different but still similar species. If I'm not mistaken the wasabi shrimp are the same species as the Crystal Red shrimp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodFan View Post
I love shrimp! I have a 36 bowfront that is going to be a nano tank woth shrimp breeding in it. I am trying to decide if I should just stick with red cherries or buy some blues to mix in. I dont know how to get wild types.
If you are planning on getting RCS I would check the species of shrimp you are going to mix in. The blue ones I am seeing will crossbreed with RCS making mutts which should turn out more similar to the wild type shrimp that are populating my tank.

As for the wild types, you just gotta keep your eyes open for them. You can find them here and there but they are nowhere near as popular as the solid colored shrimp.
__________________
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:03 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post

The genes are there for the black. If no black males turn up then, in the worst case scenario it will take 2 generations for more black shrimp to turn up. It would certainly speed up the process if I could find a black male though.

The Wasabi shrimp are Cardinia while the ones I have are Neocardinia. Two different but still similar species. If I'm not mistaken the wasabi shrimp are the same species as the Crystal Red shrimp.

If you are planning on getting RCS I would check the species of shrimp you are going to mix in. The blue ones I am seeing will crossbreed with RCS making mutts which should turn out more similar to the wild type shrimp that are populating my tank.

As for the wild types, you just gotta keep your eyes open for them. You can find them here and there but they are nowhere near as popular as the solid colored shrimp.
Then I may get the blues to cross into the reds
__________________
God is amazing. The proof is in the pudding and the pudding is everywhere
African Leaf Fish Tank Build
GodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:29 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishCr8zy's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,458
Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post

The genes are there for the black. If no black males turn up then, in the worst case scenario it will take 2 generations for more black shrimp to turn up. It would certainly speed up the process if I could find a black male though.

The Wasabi shrimp are Cardinia while the ones I have are Neocardinia. Two different but still similar species. If I'm not mistaken the wasabi shrimp are the same species as the Crystal Red shrimp.

If you are planning on getting RCS I would check the species of shrimp you are going to mix in. The blue ones I am seeing will crossbreed with RCS making mutts which should turn out more similar to the wild type shrimp that are populating my tank.

As for the wild types, you just gotta keep your eyes open for them. You can find them here and there but they are nowhere near as popular as the solid colored shrimp.
That'd be a long time if no black males turn up....
So that means wasabi shrimp prefer more acidic more ( like crs ) ?
__________________

__________________
It wasnít until 1853 in London when aeration and filtration of water was understood, that people
were able to keep fish as indoor pets.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
canister, filter, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.