Shrimp in canister filter UGH!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well today after a major rescape and subsequent clean out of my canister filter I have found yet another load of my noecardinia shrimp stuck in there! :banghead: Over the past 4 months I've pulled around 30 of them out of there. Despite having a pre filter they still manage to get in, probably when they are freshly born. I'm just glad that I don't have a HOB filter or id end up with nothing but shrimp puree :D What do you guys do to keep them out?

You can buy steel mesh intake guards, I have heard great reviews about them. The guy only sells them in certain sizes though, so they may not fit your specific filter. I think the sizes are (in diameter) 22mm, 17mm, 16mm, 13mm, 9mm.

You can buy steel mesh intake guards, I have heard great reviews about them. The guy only sells them in certain sizes though, so they may not fit your specific filter. I think the sizes are (in diameter) 22mm, 17mm, 16mm, 13mm, 9mm.

These were what I meant. Look pretty good and will hopefully keep out most if not all the shrimp. If those don't work, then yeah, try pantyhose.

And yet they still get in?!? That's amazing.... lol
Maybe try those shrimp safe intake covers that they sell on eBay?

Nice, I didn't know they had those. I also got a final count for the number of shrimp I pulled out of my canister this month... 23.

+1 to that, you could also try a sump filter sock.

Wow..... That's quite a lot! All babies, juvies, or adults? What type of shrimp are these?

All babies and juvies. They are neocardinia, so the wild version of RCS. I am getting some awesome color variations out of them tho and am considering trying to breed them for it.

All babies and juvies. They are neocardinia, so the wild version of RCS. I am getting some awesome color variations out of them tho and am considering trying to breed them for it.

That's cool B). What colors do you have? At least the filter sounds like a successful place for babies to grow up :p. jk

Could you use a media bag over the sponge , available in different mesh sizes so maybe one that would be a little finer than your sponge.

Could you use a media bag over the sponge , available in different mesh sizes so maybe one that would be a little finer than your sponge.

Yeah, that's another option I could go with.

That's cool B). What colors do you have? At least the filter sounds like a successful place for babies to grow up :p. jk

I have beautiful reds and blues along with a few greens and 1 or 2 black ones.

Wow! Green, blue, red, and black wild rcs in one tank.... That's gotta be colorful!
But anyway, back on topic, a filter media bag sounds like a good idea too just make sure there are no spaces between the intake hose and mesh bag where the shrimp can get through.

Oh wow do you have any pics....and I would try pantyhose

One of my 3 juvie reds.

75748-albums12252-picture59749.jpg

Any specific shrimp is really really hard to find, especially because the ones with the color morph are juveniles as well as my tank having TONS of hiding spots. The first generation of shrimp I got had a jet black female and I am assuming they are all coming from her.

One of my 3 juvie reds.

Any specific shrimp is really really hard to find, especially because the ones with the color morph are juveniles as well as my tank having TONS of hiding spots. The first generation of shrimp I got had a jet black female and I am assuming they are all coming from her.

Wow! A jet black wild rcs..... That sounds so awesome! And you tank does look like there are quite a lot of hiding spots :p. Is there a jet black males too? Or can it just be another color male breeding with her but the babies are stil black?

You can't see it very well due to my camera not being able to zoom and focus at the same time and the overwhelming crotch kick of green from the plants all around but here is the black female I have. She isn't nearly as black as the original shrimp I had but she looks pretty nice.

75748-albums12252-picture59790.jpg

Back
Top Bottom