Shrimp Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SirCastic

Aquarium Advice Regular
So i got a 30 gallon tank, dimensions - 30 L, 12 W, and 19 H. I want it as a complete shrimp tank, nothing but shrimps. i have some shrimps in my main, and i want to take them out and put them in the 30, as soon as it finishes cycling (i jumpstarted it by using main tank water + Dechlorinated water + Bacteria in a bottle) currently in my main i have some cherry shrimp, and a bamboo shrimp. The tank will be sand bottom with all kinds of moss & Plants (Moss balls, java fern, java moss, anachuris, Water wisteria, hair grass, anubis plant, Amazon sword) and a piece of drift wood or two. What should i feed the shrimp? are there shrimp that can't go together? i had my eyes on some ice blues, mandarin oranges, bumblebees, tigers, rili dwarf shrimp, yellow shrimps. Can all these live together? I don't really care about cross breeding i just want alot of shrimp. And how many shrimp can i fit in the 30 gallon? i'm going to put a mesh net around the filter intake, so nothing get sucked in.

Best food I have used for my shrimp is the Azoo Breeding sticks. My shrimp absolutely can not get enough of it and I have noticed many many babies since I started using their food.

Crawfish absolutely love it too ;)

I'm in a similar situation ... I have a 20g long that'll eventually become a shrimp tank. Your list of shrimp is long and your bound to get cross breeding which'll probably lead to dulled out colored babies. Personally speaking, go with a couple if species that wont crossbreed. I think Rili shrimp, are awesome looking ... Good call. With them you could do bee shrimp or CRS. Either of them won't Breed with Rili. If you want at least another, Amano's would work, they don't cross breed with other Caridina shrimp.

BUT ... You could add a divider and then basically have the two separate tanks that share the filteration and water parameters. In the other you can do tiger shrimp and either yellow or RCS for example. Again you'd avoid crossbreeing.

If any of you start having baby CRS or anything Let me know! I'm changing my 55g over to shrimp only.

jcolon said:
I'm in a similar situation ... I have a 20g long that'll eventually become a shrimp tank. Your list of shrimp is long and your bound to get cross breeding which'll probably lead to dulled out colored babies. Personally speaking, go with a couple if species that wont crossbreed. I think Rili shrimp, are awesome looking ... Good call. With them you could do bee shrimp or CRS. Either of them won't Breed with Rili. If you want at least another, Amano's would work, they don't cross breed with other Caridina shrimp.

BUT ... You could add a divider and then basically have the two separate tanks that share the filteration and water parameters. In the other you can do tiger shrimp and either yellow or RCS for example. Again you'd avoid crossbreeing.

Thats the thing I don't care about cross breeding, I just want a lot of shrimps

SirCastic said:
Thats the thing I don't care about cross breeding, I just want a lot of shrimps

Even if they are all dull brown? They will most Likely have deformed shrimp lets and will all be boring. If you want a lot of shrimps then just get one type. Or get a divider. RCS breed really quickly. You should care about cross breeding because it will weaken your shrimp lets and in the end you will be stuck with all crossbreeds and none of your original shrimp.

Samzter said:
Even if they are all dull brown? They will most Likely have deformed shrimp lets and will all be boring. If you want a lot of shrimps then just get one type. Or get a divider. RCS breed really quickly. You should care about cross breeding because it will weaken your shrimp lets and in the end you will be stuck with all crossbreeds and none of your original shrimp.

Not exactly true. Cross breeding does not weaken the Shrimps, actually it makes them stronger. But stronger genetics aren't always the prettiest.

The Shrimps you see now have had generations upon generations of selective breeding to enhance color and pattern. This can be achieved by repeated breeding of a male or female with its spawn (which can/does lead to weaker genes).

Cross breeding Shrimps (Neocaridinas with Neocaridinas or Caridinas with Caridinas) won't result in deformed Shrimp but most definitely it will result in natural Shrimp. And in nature, these Shrimp are a clear-brown color to blend in with the surroundings.

Honestly I would get some Bamboo, Amano, Red Cherry, and some Caridina species (like Red Crystal). No chance of cross breeding so you will always see nice coloration, and gives you a variety of sizes, feeding styles, and colors.

When you say CRS do you mean crystal red shrimp, or cherry red shrimp?

SirCastic said:
When you say CRS do you mean crystal red shrimp, or cherry red shrimp?

Crystal Red.

Red Rili and Red Cherry are both classified under the scientific name Neocaridina. Which means they will cross breed.

Yes CRS .. Crystal reds .. Do look cool. But I saw on YouTube a tank of Rili shrimp that looked awesome. Rili's are definitely a species I look to get once the 20gal is up and well established.

I have blue and red rilis. The high grade blue rills with the red "helmet" and tail are my favorite shrimp right now...(you know, besides orange eye blue tiger and the other $100 shrimp ill never get )

jcolon said:
Ah yes... Orange eyed blue or black tiger shrimp. Beautiful and very $$$$$.

Blue tigers look amazing but I could never spend that much on a 1-inch animal!

Back
Top Bottom