Shrimp Tank Cycling Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattmathis

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, I have fallen in love with RCS now and am going to have to have a tank devoted to them. And I would like to make sure I get it set up properly for them before I get them. Someone tell me if this wont work.

I have had the "Biomax bag" part of the filter on a aquaclear 30 in the back of a whisper 60 on my well established 75 gallon tank for about a month in anticipation of something like this.

I plan on using that aquaclear 30 with that biomax bag on a 10 gallon tank along with a couple of handfuls of gravel and maybe some mulm/detrius, and a piece of driftwood from the 75 gallon. Then getting a big bunch of java moss(should have extra bacteria) and about 10-20 RCS.

I have used this method before on hospital tanks and it seemed to work fine, but I just wanted to make doubly sure. I have read that RCS are sensitive to nitrate poisoning.

Should that be enough bacteria to start the tank without doing fishless cycling or something?

I would of course make sure the water temp is right and de-chlorinated good.

My tap water:
ph: 7.2
kh: 4
Nitrates are zero

Thanks! :D

BTW, I have read that RCS like to breed between 72-75F. It is hard for me to keep my water under 78F. Should that still be ok for the RCS to breed?

I am probably going to go the way I planned, but I'm curious about something. So many people tell me I would still need to add fish. I can't imagine that because, dosen't aerobic bacteria die off without a bio-load to feed off of?

It seems to me if I went to all that trouble putting fish in to help the bacteria, and then took the fish out, when I added the shrimp it would be defeating the purpose. As you said, surely 10-20 shrimp are not going to create enough bio-load to keep all of the bacteria alive that was alive when the fish were living in there.

I know I might very well be off base here, but can someone please help me to understand this?

Thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom