Shrimps & Snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When my shrimp molt, what should I do with the shell? I noticed the fish do eat it after a few days, is this healthy for them?

^^ Bump ^^

Clea stay partially hidden under the sediment, and if a snail slides past, then quickly (by snail standards) jump into action, chasing their prey and eventually subduing it.

My assassins arrived this morning but are ignoring other snails. Why is this?

They will find 'em. Especially when the lights go out.

Take the shell out if you see it... if you leave it it won't hurt anything though. It will just dissolve and add minerals to the water.

Do I need to supplement food for the assassins, and what do you recommend The fish and shrimps do a very good job of cleaning up before the snails move around. Is it wise to add some "pest" snails for them to chase/eat?

If you run out of snails for them to eat, and can't get any pest snails from the LFS, you can feed bloodworms or shrimp pellets. Pretty much anything with protein, mine LOVE shrimp pellets.

I have lots of bloodworm pellets and a few pond snails which I got from the LFS. Shall I drop the pond snails into my tank? Is that a wise idea?

Yeah, when you get the assassins drop 'em in! BW pellets would work too, they should have lots of protein.

You could even put the snails in now, and hope they breed if you want. But if you are already overrun, then I wouldn't.

I think my assassins are blind? I placed a pond snail directly infront of a moving assassin but it just slid passed. I tried again, and several other times but it just ignored it. Eventually after about 20 minutes of moving the pond snail it got linched and ate :)

I didn't think Amano Shrimp ate live plants?

2011-03-192B07_48_50.jpg

What kind of plant is that? Most shrimp will not eat live plants. That one however appears to have some yellowing and maybe be dying off.

The plant is a Vallisneria Spiralis. What you see is a "runner" off the main plant which I have moved to the front of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom