Shy Fish???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adammorrill

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello,
I bought six pristella tetras about a week ago. They seem to have acclimated fine as none of them are acting weird and none of died. The problem is that they are always hiding. They are not even hiding where I can see them, they are always behind my driftwood, so I have to go to the side of my tank and peak around the back, just so i can make sure they are alive. No other fish I have ever gotten has hid like this. the tank is planted pretty good with live plants, and there are several pieces of driftwood. The other Inhabitants are
1x Angel
5x Neon Tetras
6-8x Khuli Loaches
1x clown pleco
2x cherry barbs
2x gold barbs

The tank is 36 gallons if has 2 filters on it, one internal and one HOB. I havent even seen the pristella tetras come out and eat. What could be their problem and do you think they will eventually stop hiding? Right now I regret buying them, since I can't even see them, but I really like the colors on them, so I hope they come out.

Tetra are naturally timid fish, they will be nervous in new tanks.

Looking at your stock I'd say that's the issue.

Give them time and they should become more active (in a tight school) soon enough.

Yah i hope they do, i respecially like when they school very tight, my neons don't do that fir some reason

is the driftwood the only thing for them to hide behind? if so that may be part of the issue too, plenty of "safe" spots tends to give timid fish more confidence.

No, there are enough plants for them to hide behind, i just have no clue why they are so shy

The only large fish in the tank is the angel and its really mellow. But i know your right, i just need to give them time and then they will eventually come out

Back
Top Bottom