Shy Kuhli Loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobriaclord

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought three kuhli loaches on Sunday. They have been very shy. I read online that I should have at least 5. Do I need to get two more or will; they grow more comfortable to the tank?

I bought three kuhli loaches on Sunday. They have been very shy. I read online that I should have at least 5. Do I need to get two more or will; they grow more comfortable to the tank?

I would get 2 more they are a lot happier and more confident in larger groups. They might just need to get used to their new home but I'd still recommend upping their numbers to keep them happier. They also like a lot of sheltered areas to hide and prefer shaded areas and a planted tank with lots of rocks and caves. They are more active at night usually as they are nocturnal ? What substrate do you have ? They do prefer a sand substrate as they like to sift,dig and burrow into it. Also do you have any floating plants? If you don't it would be a good idea to get some as they are quite light sensitive and would appreciate the shaded more subdued shaded areas.

I would get 2 more they are a lot happier and more confident in larger groups. They might just need to get used to their new home but I'd still recommend upping their numbers to keep them happier. They also like a lot of sheltered areas to hide and prefer shaded areas and a planted tank with lots of rocks and caves. They are more active at night usually as they are nocturnal ? What substrate do you have ? They do prefer a sand substrate as they like to sift,dig and burrow into it. Also do you have any floating plants? If you don't it would be a good idea to get some as they are quite light sensitive and would appreciate the shaded more subdued shaded areas.

Thank you. I will get two more tomorrow as well as some shale and floating plants. I have a lot of plants already but I think a floating plant would look nice.

I do not have a sand substrate, but I have rounded gravel. I plan to swap out for sand in the future though. It just seems like a daunting task.

What do you mean when you say they are nocturnal? They will only come out when I am sleeping?

Yes Kuhli loaches are largely nocturnal. They will be more active when the lights go out. Larger groups will give them more courage to come out in the light, but they will always be more active when the lights are out. You can get blue moonlighting so you can still watch them when they are active. Loaches also need a smooth substrate. Sand is preferred, nothing rough though, as Loaches are scaleless and have sensitive barbels.

5 is a pretty arbitrary number. The more you get, the more you'll see them. If it were me, the exact number I stocked would depend on the tank size, with larger tanks getting more.

Hey guys,

So originally I had bought 3 banded kuhli loaches. One died within a day so I called up the fish store (knowing my water was clean). Apparently, they had pre-medicated the shipment too much and they got sick.
So I went to petco yesterday and saw that they had black kuhli loaches for $1.75 each. Thought this was a great deal because the banded ones cost $7 each. So I bought six of the black kuhli loaches and they have been doing great, much less shy.

Now, when I look in the tank, I can only see one banded kuhli loach. I dont know what happened to the other one. I am hoping its not dead, and rotting under the gravel. What should I do?

Also, I am afraid my tank is overstocked. I have a 37g, medium planting, with a Aqueon 50 gallon filter.

The fish in my tank are:
6 white clouds
5 neon tetras
3 neon swordtails (one male, two females)
2 Bolivian rams
6 black kuhlis
1 (or 2?) banded kuhli
2 otos
6 bronze cory cats

What should I do?

They'll bury themselves in the substrate and not be seen for days. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Back
Top Bottom