shy neons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigbanker

Aquarium Advice Addict
My 110 is heavily planted with a large school of neons.... about twenty or so. But I NEVER see them! What could keep them in hiding?? They live in a massive Amazon sword and come out only to feed.

My stock includes a large group of adult columbian tetras, cherry barbs, roseline sharks, assorted rainbows, h rasboras, lamp eye tetras, and two large mystery snails.

Neons like dark substrate and dim lighting. And in a large tank with larger tank mates they will tend to stay close to or in cover as that makes them feel safe. I keep a school of 25 cardinals in a 220g very heavily planted and they always stay close to the dense plant line towards the back of the tank. I also have to change out my 10000K bulbs in my metal halides to 6000K bulbs to soften the light which helped some.

Nope not super strong..... I can't seem to figure this out. The sand is black and lights are only on about five hours a day.... even in the dark they don't come out.

My grandfathers tank, which is insane, they frequently come out. He even has bala sharks with them

Are they still young and small? They just may not feel comfortable in the tank and since they have strong schooling behavior if even just one hangs back they all will. All you can do is hope they outgrow it.

How long have you had them? Were they the last addition to the tank?

As long as they're feeding, you're good. All else will fall into place in short order.

David

Are they still young and small? They just may not feel comfortable in the tank and since they have strong schooling behavior if even just one hangs back they all will. All you can do is hope they outgrow it.

They range in my ownership from about a year to a month or so.

How long have you had them? Were they the last addition to the tank?

As long as they're feeding, you're good. All else will fall into place in short order.

David

The neons were some of the first added.

Also just thought I would share this..... everyone comes out when the filters are off! I've currently got the lights on but am doing a water change. They are all out in the open. The output for my sump is angeled up so there isn't too much flow.... maybe the vibrations?

They range in my ownership from about a year to a month or so. The neons were some of the first added.

Also just thought I would share this..... everyone comes out when the filters are off! I've currently got the lights on but am doing a water change. They are all out in the open. The output for my sump is angeled up so there isn't too much flow.... maybe the vibrations?

if they consistantly come out when it's off that very well could be the problem.

Can't neons hear noise much better than most fish? Thought I read that. I remember thinking if
I got some I would take my subwoofer to opposite end of the room

Back
Top Bottom