Siamese fighting fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joker69

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
can you put a male and female siamese fighting fish together or will they fight or is it just 2 male bettas that will fight. i would really love it if i can breed with them and i googled it and some say you can and some say you cant. so what do you guys think please i need your advice :fish1:

From what I've seen happen multiple times the male will usually beat the Crap out of the female if kept in the same tank. However with some of the more docile bettas it can work but I've only seen it work once out of 6 times. If you want to breed there is a specific way to introduce them to minimize the damage to the female.

The only time you every keep a make and female betta together is when you breed them. It is a very bad idea to keep them together unless breeding.

Generally the rule would be no you cant. However in a tank like a 55 gallon long you may be able to do it as they have enough room to stay away from each other. Then again we are not talking about wild species that may just form territories. These fish have no "wild" instincts because they have been bred down so far. Therefore the male may decide the whole tank no matter how large is his and kill the female. I would be interested to see test done where large tanks were stocked with a mixed pair or even 2 males to observe behaviour.

Generally the rule would be no you cant. However in a tank like a 55 gallon long you may be able to do it as they have enough room to stay away from each other. Then again we are not talking about wild species that may just form territories. These fish have no "wild" instincts because they have been bred down so far. Therefore the male may decide the whole tank no matter how large is his and kill the female. I would be interested to see test done where large tanks were stocked with a mixed pair or even 2 males to observe behaviour.

They have tested it and put two male bettas in the middle of a lake. They still attacked each other immediately.

Hello everyone! Im brand new to this site as well as a brand new fish tank owner. I started very small (1 gallon tank), didnt want to get in over my head with all the options & ease my way into this aquarist hobby.
So my initial question is this:
I tried purchasing my first fish, a red rainbow shark, but without a heater I think I killed him as soon as he got in his new habitat. :( So my next attempt was to try a betta fish.
My concerns was the actual habitat that I current have. My tank stays at a consistent 74 degrees and is fresh water. (Tap water that is being treated with Jungle brand start right water maintenance).
Any suggestions before I purchase another fish for my tank?
Thanks in advance for the help & please be understanding that I am a novice at this. I just want to make sure Im taking all the correct approaches when doing this so I have a happy fish.

They have tested it and put two male bettas in the middle of a lake. They still attacked each other immediately.

They should have put them at opposite sides of the lake and seen what happened when they found each other. Thouhh like I said with no natural instinct and the fact they were bred to fight.......

Everything i have read has indicated not to keep them together, i am putting my male in his own tank and getting a group of females for my 55g

Hello everyone! Im brand new to this site as well as a brand new fish tank owner. I started very small (1 gallon tank), didnt want to get in over my head with all the options & ease my way into this aquarist hobby.
So my initial question is this:
I tried purchasing my first fish, a red rainbow shark, but without a heater I think I killed him as soon as he got in his new habitat. :( So my next attempt was to try a betta fish.
My concerns was the actual habitat that I current have. My tank stays at a consistent 74 degrees and is fresh water. (Tap water that is being What is your ph originally at that makes you feel you need to lower it? with Jungle brand start right water maintenance).
Any suggestions before I purchase another fish for my tank?
Thanks in advance for the help & please be understanding that I am a novice at this. I just want to make sure Im taking all the correct approaches when doing this so I have a happy fish.

Sadly, there isn't anything else that will fit into the tank. People even argue endlessly that a betta doesn't even fit in a 1g tank. The red tail shark needs a 30g+ tank as well.

This thread has about run its course so I doubt many people will be seeing your post. I would suggest starting a new thread on the topic to get more input.

I don't think anything belongs in a one gallon lol. And just to contribute to the thread. If your tank has diversity, meaning driftwood and plants, it will very much so damper aggression. Most betta tanks are plain as heck which is sad so if there is no obstruction of sight whatsoever then of course endless chasing will result. I'm not saying this is the end all solution, but I have kept my male with a female all summer long with no problems whatsoever. Chasing here and there of course, nothing lethal. An excellent barrier are floating plants, dims the lighting and provides cover.

Sadly, there isn't anything else that will fit into the tank. People even argue endlessly that a betta doesn't even fit in a 1g tank. The red tail shark needs a 30g+ tank as well. This thread has about run its course so I doubt many people will be seeing your post. I would suggest starting a new thread on the topic to get more input.

Ok thanks for the input. Never really been in any kind of forum before either haha. Just looking for any advice so thanks again!

Ok thanks for the input. Never really been in any kind of forum before either haha. Just looking for any advice so thanks again!

In general it's considered good forum etiquette to start your own thread rather than asking in someone else's thread :)

The only time people tend to break this rule is if they have the exact same issue as the OP, which is rare in fish keeping since every tank has a multitude of factors that change the scenario and therefore the root problem.

In general it's considered good forum etiquette to start your own thread rather than asking in someone else's thread :) The only time people tend to break this rule is if they have the exact same issue as the OP, which is rare in fish keeping since every tank has a multitude of factors that change the scenario and therefore the root problem.

Well I appreciate your help very much!

Back
Top Bottom