Siamese fighting fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glene20

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 15g tank. Im thinking of just getting a male betta for the tank. Is there anything else that can go with the betta. I was thinkin maybe a pleco?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Plecos, neon tetras, dwarf gouarmis, rummy nose tetras, and sometimes mollies.

Bettas and dwarf gouramis are to similar to co exist they will likely fight. Cory cats work well also. Any fish that wont nip them and are also pretty mild will work.

In general they should not be kept together. It can happen but if you are looking for tank mates gouramis should be avoided.

Plecos are to large for that tank. I would also agree with keeping gouramis out of the tank as well.

Some other I would however suggest are:
Cardinal tetras
Harlequin Rasbora
Platies
Cory Cats
Celestial Pearl Danio

Bettas are loaners they do great alone but a few calm tank mates that stay out of there way are okay.

A small pleco like rubber lip plecos only get about 4 inches, I would not go with cory cats or any other schooling fish as they need a bigger tank, usually 30 or above...maybe otto cats might do well in a small tank

If your local pet store houses betas in the tanks with fish as well as in bowls, try to get one from the tanks with other fish. This way they'll be used to being with other fish. Some betas will attack anything that moves, and some are very docile. It all depends on the individual's personality.
The beta I have currently was living in the guppy tank at the LFS, and he is pretty much tolerant of anything. Except red cherry shrimp. He hunted mine to extinction.

A small pleco like rubber lip plecos only get about 4 inches, I would not go with cory cats or any other schooling fish as they need a bigger tank, usually 30 or above...maybe otto cats might do well in a small tank

Even the small plecos such as the bristlenose and rubber lip need a 30g + tank. Also, many many people successfully keep the smaller schooling species of fish in groups of around six in as little as a 10g tank.

Thanks for the replies. Im thinking maybe just let the betta have the tank to himself. It is only 15g bit too small

*shrug* personally I think a 15g is plenty big enough for other fish. I have 5 cardinal tetras, 6 panda corys, and my betta in a 10g. Not a single death in that tank and its been set up for nearly a year now. Also, the betta that resides in that tank continues to be the single most active betta I've ever owned.

Yup. My main resource for everything fish has a tank that's only 2 gallons, they have a Betta, and 4 neon tetras in it and they're all doing great.

I did previously have a betta in it and I added guppys. It was really bad idea . So I got kinda turned off adding fish into a tank with a siamese fighting fish

Yeah not guppies. They are seen as other males by bettas so they attack them. That's why neon tetras, or rummy nose tetras are good. They look nothing like bettas.

I have a male betta who tolerates nothing! I even tried to put a female betta with him. He killed her in 2hours. He coexists with a ghost shrimp for the past few months. No problems :)

Why didnt you seperate the female if u knew she was getting attacked? I suppose it depends on the fish itself then

Male bettas will be especially aggressive towards female bettas, more so than other fish. Its part of their natural breeding cycle. Even breeders don't keep males and females together, they're acclimated to each other then introduced for the breeding process then separated.

Good betta tankmates in my experience (as in I have personally tried them) are Cory cats, neon tetras, small catfish, platys, or giant danios. Don't try barbs for the tendency to be fin nippers (mainly the tiger barbs, some Cherry's are peaceful if kept in proper m/f ratios) or fancy guppys as bettas will often mistake them for young male bettas and attack them.

Also I noticed that my giant danio absolutely decimated my Betta once, be careful with that combination, but at the same time it can work.

Back
Top Bottom