Sick Gourami? Please assist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gourami_Girl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Don't know what is wrong with Nemo (I know-don't judge). At the end of August he started hiding at the rear top of the tank. I thought he was just scared for some unknown reason, it happens sometimes, he will hide for two weeks and then act normally, but not this time. He stays back there and is getting bigger along one side. At first I thought SBD but he is swimming normally when he does move,no t circular and can rise and fall at will. He is listless, not trying to avoid the net or escape, do fish get tumors? I have had him about a year now.

Appreciate any thoughts. I don't want him to be in pain.

Attachments

• IMAG5589.jpg
    IMAG5589.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMAG5600.jpg
    IMAG5600.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 104
  • IMAG5602.jpg
    IMAG5602.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 93
  • IMAG5604.jpg
    IMAG5604.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 89
Nemo's gonna die soon.. Do nemo a favor and cut its head off

Thanks FWFishtanks, I figured but hoped there was something that could be done.

Saad88- insensitive much? Sheesh.

Incredibly rude Saad88. I have one of these guys, is this bloat? I've only had ich in my tank up to now. Still learning illnesses, so just curious. Sorry about your little buddy.

Closing Thread- Fish Down

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

After researching, with his "pine cone" scales in addition to the bloated abdomen, it appears to be dropsy and pretty much fatal. It's been just over a month that he's been acting this way, I had a bad bb bloom in mid August after I stupidly replaced both the foam and biomax in the AC 50 AND the biowheel in the Penguin 150. Idiot, no doubt killed off bb and started a mini-cycle. Took three weeks of small midweek pwc and the regular weekly 30% pwc to stabilize. Tried to speed it up a bit with Prime Stabilize. Lost 2 adult cherry barbs in about the 4th week, the other two survived and now have 4 new friends and are coming out and swimming around.

I thought Nemo was just still a little stressed but now I see it was too late. I didn't see him eat much or poop, probably just suffering.

Thanks for all your help.

"Rude" im not rude im just straight up.. We're dealing with animals and every now and then we have to deal with death and sickness. That actually goes for any pet. There's no need to sugar coat straight up facts.. And cutting its head off is the least painfull, fastes, and most humane way.. Freezing water can actually be slow and painful for some fish and u add salt in the water so the water can drop way below the freezing point without actually freezing. If you dont like killing off your sick fish let your local fish handler do it..

And yes its bloat.. Total failure of all internal organs thats why is expanding.. Its bacteria eating The fish from the inside

Oil of cloves is also a very humane way to kill a fish with minimal trauma. If you add it gradually the fish slowly loses consciousness with no stress. I doubt my ability to cut off a head quickly and cleanly, I would probably end up stressing the fish a lot in the process

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks Everyone

I cut off his head that day, as I have in the past for other fish, I agree it is the fastest. I don't see it as more stressful/painful than freezing, which sounds as if it takes too long. Clove oil puts them to sleep, guess you have to overdose but I would feel unsure about that method.

Saad88, I agreed with your method, it was just your "bedside manner" which was the issue, kind of brusque. Anyway, Nemo is gone, everyone else is doing fine. That was my 3rd Gourami, obviously I am incapable of keeping any for more than 6 moths so I am not getting anymore. I will stick with the tetras and barbs.

Back
Top Bottom