Sick guppy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Treatment for ich can be done naturally and effectively using solely heat, there's an excellent article on this site about it, outlining why it works and is more effective than medicines in the long run. The takeaway is that if you have repeat bouts of ich, you need to be checking water quality, because stressed fish are more susceptible to disease and parasites and fungus. The increased heat is to prevent ich from reproducing. Being a parasite, it lives, dies and reproduces like fleas on a dog. Fortunately, you can raise the aquarium temperature high enough to prevent this. After the white spots disappear, you hold temperature high to let any remaining larvae die off in your substrate. That's the general idea of the treatment, but please seek out the article, I'm on my phone otherwise I'd link it here.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I turned the temp up to max on the heater (200w) and the thermometer says the water is between 78-80. The air stone is on full. Since turning the temp up I have lost 3 fish :(

What kind of thermometer is it?. How fast did you adjust the temp? You should do it over the course of a few days, 1 degree at a time.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Did you remove the carbon from your filter if you have such before adding your Meds? Carbon will negate any Meds you add to your tank and they will have no effect. I personally only use the heat method raising it to 86-88 gradually over a day and leave it there for atleast a week after last spot is seen.

Back
Top Bottom