signs a tank is getting too much light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JHZR2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I have a 5 gal tank stocked with 3 serpae tetras, 2 zebra danios, and 2 ghost shrimp. All decor is live plants.
On the broad leaf plant (braod green leaves with white dots down the center), the center of some of the leaves most directly under th elight are covered with a brown coating. The leaves tend to rot out slowly after this, and if the leaves dont rot, their stalks do.
Is this a sign that the tank is getting too much light and growing algae or something? when I first had the plants in, they would devellop a white fuxx in certain areas, but that seems to be gone.
Some of my other plants have develloped brown stalks that essentially are just rot. when I touch them they just break.
Most plants are growing small roots in the dirt (I have ~1" of aquarium dirt covered over by a thin layer of gravel.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated,
Thanks,

JMH

No, it sounds like your plants are not true aquatic plants and are rotting.

Ummm... I disagree with Rex Grigg on this one...

1) I think the plants most directly under the light are almost certainly forming a coating of algae. Algae loves high light conditions, and no doubt prefers this area of the tank. You might consider buying a dwarf pleco to take care of this, unless you want to clean the algae off the tank yourself. Bushy Nose Plecos and Hairy plecos come to mind--they seldom grow longer than 4 inches. Liveaquaria.com should be able to advise you more specifically about this: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=837. I'm a bit surprised the ghost shrimp aren't taking care of this, though.

2) As per the rotting... I have the same problem with the anacharis in my 55. When the rotting occurs, I tend to break of the rotten part and rebed the plant. Also, if you use lead weights to anchor your plants, you may be tying them too tight and breaking/bursting the stems (which will then rot quickly). If the algae is taking over, it's quite possible it is causing the rotting. Have you also checked for tiny snails? This is a common ailment of aquarium plants--darn near killed all of my plants off a few months ago. The plants became really slimy with rotten material when the snails did a number on them.

Is your aquarium dirt fertilized? I assume so, but that might be your problem if it's not.

I suppose it's possible that these are not true aquarium/aquatic plants, but I find that unlikely...

Hope this helps.

The most light one would normally get over a 5 gallon tank would be in the range of 15 watts with a standard hood. This is not enough light to cause many problems. You state that Algae loves high light conditions. What do you consider high light? I have a 55 gallon tank that has 220 watts over it. The only time I get algae is when I forget to fertilize. What algae loves is when a tank is out of balance.

And the advice to add a dwarf pleco to a 5 gallon tank that is already stocked to the limit is not the best advice I have ever seen.

And there are NO true aquarium plants that are green with a white stripe down the center. The plant described is more than likely an Acorus.

Back
Top Bottom