Silent filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Argblarg

Aquarium Advice Regular
I want to set up a 10g shrimp tank and I'm looking for something that is completely silent so I can put this next to my bed. I am guessing this has to be an internal filter of some sort? Can anyone recommend some from their experience?

The ticking of a clock in the other room annoys the heck out of me so just a small hum is out of the question... hopefully this is possible.

Thanks!

I have a HOB filter that makes no noise at all, but I had to add an air pump and that thing annoys me to death. Pretty much every filter I've seen makes noise. I've heard that some canister filters are silent but those are for allot bigger tanks and you would still need to add aeration, if you dont mind the sound of water tricking you could get a BIOwheel as long as you dont have plants. It used to bother me but now I cant sleep without it lol there's pretty much no way to escape noise, you'll either have the sound of water trickling into the tank or an air pump (which is allot worse IMO)

I think a low hum is inevitable, but if it's a few feet from your bed, it might drown out just enough for you to sleep. Air pumps are loud but you don't really need one unless you want to add an airstone into the tank, or anything like that.

Don't skimp on the filter (ie: don't get a cheap one), and I think you'll be fine.

HOB filters are pretty noisy as filters go, so i would past on one of those. a canister being the best pick, but you don't have a big enough tank for that. there are many newer internal filters that i have heard are pretty good. you may want to research that kind of filter.

Eheim

Fluval

Stingray

Hydor LWB has been using this, hopefully he can comment on the noise.

EDIT: added filter

If a clock ticking in another room bothers you then you're going to have a hard time finding a filter that won't. I think the internal filters will all be the quietest but you are dealing with moving parts ;)

My AC HOB are almost silent, if you keep them up to the top they make little discernable noise. With my airpump off it is almost impossible to here them. A canister could be much quieter but I don't think it would be enough to justify the cost for a 10 gallon.

Thanks for the helpful replies. I will have to check out those internal filters. I can't do a HOB due to where the tank would go. The cannisters definately seem to be a little more money too.

Not to mention a canister would probably increase the amount of water in your tank by 50% ;)

An elite stingray filter would be fine for a 10g. I have stingrays rated for 5 gallons in all of my goldfish tanks and they keep them well cycled. They are almost completely silent except for about 5 minutes after you first turn them on. The only thing you have to do first is to take out all the filter foam and replace it with sponge.

Back
Top Bottom