Silicone Peeling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nokinja

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone.

I picked up a new 33g tank from a co-worker and i've now got it stripped down for cleaning before I start to cycle, however I noticed something I might be worried about.

A 1" peice of silicone on the bottom of the tank is lifted up and down't seem to be connected. However, the rest of the tank is fine. Should I be worried about this? Should I reseal it?

i would reseal it. either get some aquarium silicone sealant from the pet store or silicone from the hardware store, but make sure it is not for kitchen or bath use. read the label, if it says 'not for aquarium use', then dont use it.

Might as well do it while it's dry! It's easy & there are plenty of old posts on here about doing it. Use G.E. Silicone I, not II (those are Roman Numerals)... Type I is fine but make sure it has no mildew inhibitors or mildewcides in it, and it will say this on the label.

I'd reseal the whole tank since it's so easy. Just get a new razor blade and cut all the old stuff off. Clean the surface with isopropyl alchohol, then aply a thin stip of all-glass aquarium silicone to the joints, use a finger to smooth the seam (wear a latex glove if you have access to one.)

You should only need about 3-4 oz or silicone to do the whole tank. Good luck man.

Back
Top Bottom