Silicone Sealant...how to tell if it's safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happygirl65

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello,
I have been working on my rock terrace for a while now using a clear silicone sealant given to me by my husband. I of course asked if it was safe for the fish tank and he said oh yes, it's the same stuff and once it's cured it's fine. ....but now I am feeling nervous about putting it in the tank not knowing 100% that it really IS the same stuff as none of these tubes list the ingredients.

I have read everything on the tube and can not find anything that tells me it is safe for contact with aquariums, or anything useful whatsoever.

It is a Componexx brand RTV-3 Silicon Sealant for industrial applications.

It has a slight vinegar like smell while it cures and then no smell at all.

I have researched the Material Safety Information for several brands of this type of sealant since I could not find anything from this specific mfg. and found them all to be the same as far as reactivity, toxicity etc.

Then I looked up the MSDS for an aquarium safe silicone sealant and it too seemed to be identical, same chemicals were listed under the OSHA safety Hazzard section and all of the other related info was the same as the other sheets.

Can I assume it is safe? Is there a way to test the water after soaking the structure for a few days to tell if it is safe?

If not, can I seal the entire structure to prevent any leaching of harmful chemicals? Would epoxy be the way to go?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Most of the work has already been done unfortunately. And I tried to pull it apart to see if I could just start over but it was almost impossible to pull them apart by hand. I would have to start all over which I CAN and will do if I have to but obviously I would like to avoid it.

Any suggestions?
TIA

So long as it doesnt include any checmicals that make it mold resistant/proof i believe it is ok. I spent the extra money and paid $5 for a tube of AG silicone, it was worth it for piece of mind to me.

-Pleco

u can buy the GE clear silicone from home depot. just make sure u dont get the kitchen batch stuff casue it has the bad chemicles. i have used it on all my stuff and never had a problem. much cheaper this way also.

It will tell you on there if it is anti-mildew, or mildew-resistant. If it is, it's no good... It's basically anti-life for our little pals.

Thank you! I am feeling better about this now. This does not have any anti-mold/mildew stuff in it and is not for bathroom/kitchen use so I think as you have said it should be fine.

Thanks again!

Yes it does say acetic cure....phew!
I am so glad I dont have to destroy my work. :)

I will post pics soon. We are waiting for the new filter to arrive...I expect to be filling the tank in about a week!

Back
Top Bottom