Silver Dollars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shetland James

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've acquired two Silver Dollars - always wanted them but never did actually buy them. I imagine they're quite young because they're about one inch across.

I only got 2, because my tank isn't that large, although I realise that they grow very fast and need a huge tank eventually. I plan on trading up at some point.

Should I keep more than just two? I tried to get 1 of each sex but I'm not 100% sure that I do, and I heard that if you keep them from a young age you'll have a better chance of future breeding.

They don't seem that interested in the (real) plants I have in the tank. And when I drop peas in, only 1 seems to go crazy, the other just kind of watched (a clue to the sexes?) - I fed them a tiny bit of avocado and they looooved it.

Any general tips from experience would be helpful! Thanks!

What type did you get? There are a few different species and their max size varies depending on exact species.

They will eat the live plants. I have never heard of anyone successfully keeping silver dollars in a planted tank. Once they settle in and grow a little your plants will probably disappear.

They are schooling, so ideally they should be in groups of at least six.

What size tank are they in?

Oh it's not that big, maybe like, 15gal :???:

I think that's not big enough for them by a long shot. I'm hoping to find someone who'll want to swap their 4ft for my 2 2fts, but I won't be holding my breath.

They seem to do well in the tank, initially bullying the Fighter, then the Fighter bullied back and now they seem to get along well.

Ideally, i'd keep them in a 4ft tank with some other small fish like Neons and Balloons.

I have a 75 gallon planted tank with four red finnd silve dollars and they have not destroyed my plant population at all. surethey nip at the leaves some but if you keep the well fed they do not bother the plants enough to harm them

What do you feed yours?

Definitely get a bigger tank asap. The smallest species I know of get 4"+ so even with just the two you are nowhere large enough.

Mine eat flake and absolutely looooove peas. They'll eat them whole - pretty much an indication of how they're gonna grow.

How much are large ones fed?

Pellet food will fill them up better and be cleaner. I only feed and recommend New Life Spectrum Thera+A.

I used to have 9 plane old silver dollars that I have had since they were the size of dimes. Over the past 5 years that we have been together I must have spent more than $400 on plants. Trying different ones to see if they do not prefer the taste of some of them.

I recently came across a Moss Ball at my aquarium store. I purchased one and they do not seem to care for it at all. Haven't even seen any of them pick at it just to try it out. I did place it in a corner protected half way by some drift wood that has been placed so they don't bump into the wood while feeding.

The prefer to eat shrimp pellets but enjoy Romaine lettuce and flakes as well. They also will eat neons barbs and any fish that float on the top like a butterfly fish or ones that generally swim and live near the top of the tank. I don't think they mean to eat those fish but I have noticed that they tend to attack floating or suspended objects in the dark. They will take a few bites or bump into other fish at night and it will kill them. Although they are vegetarians they will eat a dead fish that has sank to the bottom after the past nights festivities. Thea will not eat their own kind though.

I have 7 now and they are the only ones in my 30gal tank. I was fighting sicknesses for a year or so because of water quality it seemed and I came to the conclusion that it is easier and less expensive to just make sure the water is changed every other week and the filter of corse once a month.

It was sad to flush the two other deceased fish and even more sad because they got so big that they almost didn't flush.

I have witnessed them spawn or mate twice in year 3 and 4. Since then I've had water quality problems and I think that effects them. They will only mate if water quality is perfect and stays perfect for a few months. I also keep the water temp a bit high. I read it in a fish book once.

Back
Top Bottom