Similar to Rainbow Shark??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bostonbass

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all!

My rainbow shark, Jaws (original, right?), is my favorite fish by a mile. But he is quickly outgrowing his tank and my friend who has a much larger aquarium has been kind enough to take him.

I'd like to replace him with a fish similar to him. I liked how he "patrolled" the lower level of the tank but was not aggressive with the other fish. I liked his coloring, size (before he grew too large), and overall shape.

I know the closest relative is the Red Tail Shark. I've read that their adult size is smaller than the Rainbow Shark, so I'm seriously considering that.

Can you guys think of any other fish that would be good solo on the bottom 3rd of the tank? Nothing too shy or nocturnal.

Thanks!

(please ignore my signature below. despite updating it in the CP, it won't update here and the information shown is not recent)

Red tailed sharks need more room than rainbows and tend to be more aggressive. I don't suggest that.
What size tank are do you have?

Red tailed sharks need more room than rainbows and tend to be more aggressive. I don't suggest that.
What size tank are do you have?

20g. but spare me the criticism.

as for the red tail, my local fish slinger said the exact opposite. red tails don't grow as large and are more chill

I wasn't planning on criticizing your tank size.

I honestly cannot imagine why they would tell you that, I have never encountered that to be the case. Frankly though, it is a moot point either way since 20g is too petite for one long term.
Red Tail Shark
I know multiple excellent fish keepers who think 75g is a more accurate minimum for keeping one of these fish content in the long run.

Have you ever kept loaches? Depending on your tankmates the dwarf chain loach is a good option. They can be harder to find, but they are often on the "can order" list for bigger chains if you ask, and some lfs will carry them. They aren't solo, but I really cannot think of any solo fish that exhibits the behaviors you described that stays petite. If anything else pops to mind though I'll post it. Somebody else may think of something I didn't think of.

I've never kept loaches. Don't they need to be in groups? I just want a single fish who stays in the bottom 3rd. the other fish are pretty, but have no personality at all.

I've never kept loaches. Don't they need to be in groups? I just want a single fish who stays in the bottom 3rd. the other fish are pretty, but have no personality at all.

Correct, they are not good solo.

There are some dwarf cichlids that could be kept single and stay on the bottom 3rd of the tank. They do not generally patrol though, they tend to claim a certain area as their own. Still, there are some options will plenty of personality. I am a fan of the laetacara genus. There is the also the kribensis or a ram cichlid. Some have more specific needs than others do as far as tankmates and water parameters.

Correct, they are not good solo.

There are some dwarf cichlids that could be kept single and stay on the bottom 3rd of the tank. They do not generally patrol though, they tend to claim a certain area as their own. Still, there are some options will plenty of personality. I am a fan of the laetacara genus. There is the also the kribensis or a ram cichlid. Some have more specific needs than others do as far as tankmates and water parameters.

My local lfs has gone to great lengths to discourage me from cichlids in a 20. There are tankmates. There are a dozen zebra danios, one sailfin molly, and three otos plus some inverts. It is medium densely planted. Have you kept dwarf cichlids in a situation similar to mine? Liveaquaria.com says 50g for a krib (nice fish though!) The ram is very pretty and charasmatic and can live in a 20g tank (again according to liveaquaria.com) but it says they are "difficult" and very fussy with water parameters. I do a 25% change weekly and use conditioners as needed but at 20g, I can't imagine trying to control pH or some of the other parameters. temperature is remarkably steady at 76.6 +/- 0.5

You would definitely only want to stick with dwarf cichlids. Most of the suitable species would be South or Central American. Definitely not any not any of the common African lake cichlids.
Really a pair of kribs need a bigger space, but I have never personally had issues with my krib in 20g, though I am aware that some sites will tell you they need larger. I still have a krib in a 20g with black neons and a molly. 4 years and no issues. A pair can be rather violently territorial while breeding but I have never had an issue with a single, especially if you give them a cave to claim. They will chase other fish out of their cave, but that is about all. Of course, fish are individuals and different ones have different personalities. This is especially true with cichlids. Some individuals are just more aggressive than others. I also have a krib in a 75g and it never strays out further than like 10 inches from its cave unless I am feeding. That is my experience at least.
I actually find the Bolivian ram to be quite hardy. I have had a few of them over the years and always had very good luck. I stay away from the German blue ram. Too finicky for my taste, though if you can get locally bred ones that are used to your water and come from a good source, they can do well though they are more picky about the temperature and seem to prefer it higher than many other similar fish. Nannacara anomala (golden dwarf cichli) would also be acceptable if you can find one. I am personally a fan of laetacara curvicpes and laetacara dorsigera (I don't know of a common name for either of those). Personality, very curious, not combative when kept as a single. For the most part, these dwarf cichlids will choose a cave or similar structure and claim it and chill there. They will scope out the area around it frequently too. It means they generally do fine in tanks like a 20g, because they really don't care a ton about the footprint of the overall tank as long as they have enough floor room to feel comfortable in.
I never personally bother with the pH in my tanks because most fish can adapt. A few types of wild caught ones can be more picky about it, but the ones I have listed seem to be pretty flexable about a variety of water conditions, as long as the ammonia and nitrate levels are kept down.

I second the recommendation of a Bolivian ram. They stay on the bottom and have interesting cichlid behavior without being aggressive.

I also have kept a laetacara curviceps in the past, and I found that they have the personality of a large cichlid in a small package.

I have had a 6.5 inch Red Tail Shark. I had her in a 72G bowfront and it was a good size, they love the room to do the figure 8 and roam around the perimeter of the tank, etc. They take a large area as a territory and really need the space.

If the lfs is giving you info that RTS is smaller and okay in a 20G, then you may be wanting to second guess and research their recommendations for the future before making any decisions. Be cautious.

It is good that you are getting additional information about tank stocking options.

Back
Top Bottom