single dwarf gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nickb144

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi. Any reason why i can't keep just one male dwarf gourami in my 30gallon tank. Don't want a breeding pair and bit nervous of ending up with two males that are constantly chasing each other. Are they happy enough on their own. Also i read they can be very prone to infections. Any truth in this ? I have 4 corydoras, 4 x-ray tetra and 4 male guppies. Will be adding 6 neon tetra as well. Thanks

Hi. Any reason why i can't keep just one male dwarf gourami in my 30gallon tank. Don't want a breeding pair and bit nervous of ending up with two males that are constantly chasing each other. Are they happy enough on their own. Also i read they can be very prone to infections. Any truth in this ? I have 4 corydoras, 4 x-ray tetra and 4 male guppies. Will be adding 6 neon tetra as well. Thanks

I don't see why not. I have one GBR and he does just fine! He gets a little bossy during feeding time, but doesn't go after anyone!

Thanks for your reply. Was thinking of only getting the one after hearing people talk of them not getting along but am still very tempted though to get two of them ! Beautiful fish. I just know when I see them in my LFS this week that I will end up leaving with two rather than one ! If I don't get two now I never will. Don't wanna add another at a later time. Not a wise move I think !! I got a 30 gallon tank so should be enough space for two.

Last edited by a moderator:
In a 30g tank I would only keep 1. I have a heavily planted 220g and keep 3 (1 powder blue DG, 1 red flame DG, and 1 honey gourami) and even with all that room there are still some aggression issues from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom