Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-08-2005, 09:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to zenkatydid Send a message via AIM to zenkatydid Send a message via MSN to zenkatydid
single pictus?

i understand that pictuses generally do better in groups. but i'm sure i keep seeing singles in peoples signatures.

who here keeps a single pictus? do you see him during the day, or does he just hide all the time?

zenkatydid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 10:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
I don't keep a single pictus cat but they do hide during the day. I have had pictus cats and currently keep cuckoo cats and they hide during the day most of the time too.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 02:45 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I have 2 pictus cats, and they hide all the time. Keeping them in groups or as a single won't change that. They are a nocturnal fish.

HTH

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 03:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldn't consider 2 as a group. Maybe someone with a few more could comment on their behavior? Also, I have read that the more hiding places you give, the more you'll see them out because they feel that there is a safe haven nearby.

*edited because I can't type *
Old 12-09-2005, 08:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
I have 3 cuckoos and they hide most of the time. They come out to play when they feel frisky I guess. LOL, there are tons of hiding spots in the tank, some days they come out more than others.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 10:58 PM   #6
RoK
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to RoK Send a message via MSN to RoK
I have 3 and I think they will hide as long as they have places to do so. They don't seem to like bright light. At the store they didn't have anything to hide in, so obviously they were out in the open. I think that they like to be in groups when younger but seem to drift apart and create territories as they get older.
I am a bit curious to know what would happen if someone got more than 7 for their tank but didn't have enough hiding places for all of them to have their own territories. Like if they would stick together or some would get the spots and what the others would do. Just a thought.
Current fish (includes all 3 running tanks): Polypterids, severums (of which I raised from eggs), gouramis, plecos (gold spot ones & a gurupa), loaches (zebras, yoyos, & a kubotai), macculocchi spotted silver dollars, an African butterfly fish, & Ctenopomas (a leopard & an ansorgii)
RoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 07:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to zenkatydid Send a message via AIM to zenkatydid Send a message via MSN to zenkatydid
everything i've read says that the more you have, the more you see them. i was planning on getting 4, and hoping that would create more of a group dynamic than 2 or 3, which still quite easily has a top and bottom fish.

i'd like to try a single, and see how he behaves, maybe add more later, but i've also heard it's difficult to do this as territory is already established then.

why do i feel like i'm walking into a brick wall here?
Old 12-10-2005, 10:55 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I use to have 3 of them, then came home one day and one was dead. One of those unexplained illnesses.

Mine now are very territorial. They have their own lil spot in a log, and then don't let anyone else in. Give it a try. IMO, they will still hide though, no matter the number.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 08:55 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

I must have 'strange' pictus cats--mine have never hide. I have 2 that are 2-yrs old. The only fish that hide 'big time' are the striped & spotted raphaels. The raphaels get very 'hyper' when you move their hiding place
Old 12-12-2005, 02:19 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

how many caves do you have, jaowl? and how big is your tank?

Tags
pictus

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com