Sinibotia's & MissGurnus's various builds!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Need your knowledge here loach guy... Lol. What ya know abt skunk loaches.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Need your knowledge here loach guy... Lol. What ya know abt skunk loaches.

By skunk loach you mean yasuhikotakia morleti? Very territorial and prone to fin nipping. I've always avoided them. They tend to prefer still pools in rivers so they don't need as much flow. Adapts well to any kind of water; their native pH range is from 6 to 8.

They can be kept singly, and actually that's probably for the best with them. They go well with fast short-finned fish like rainbowfish and barbs.

The ones i found said botia morleti... They were interesting and only 3$ a piece. It says they max at 3"... Are they a "dwarf loach"

The ones i found said botia morleti... They were interesting and only 3$ a piece. It says they max at 3"... Are they a "dwarf loach"

Yeah, botia morleti is a synonym. They don't get bigger than 4". They're not considered dwarf loaches.

Have you tried live black worms? My female was eating them off the bottom an hour after being added! She picked them out like she was a cory cat. dove down into the sand to grab the worm and came up with a mouthful. Not sure if my male has eaten yet though. Just some food for thought. pun intended

Mine ate one while he was acclimating in the bag lol. Dropped the worm in and he was on it.

Mine ate one while he was acclimating in the bag lol. Dropped the worm in and he was on it.

Lets see you go 2 days without food and not pounce on a juicy burger dropped at your feet lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They should be turning yellowish/amber by now IMO.
It should only take 24 hours to see the coloring.
They may not fungus right away if he missed them or water was hard , so just keep waiting.
They are alone in the tank right?

They should be turning yellowish/amber by now IMO.
It should only take 24 hours to see the coloring.
They may not fungus right away if he missed them or water was hard , so just keep waiting.
They are alone in the tank right?

Yep it's just the two of them. I'll keep checking, it hasn't quite been 24 hours.

Weirdly enough, the eggs are still white but the rams are still guarding them. I've had 2 or 3 pairs of rams that have spawned I think, and none have ever gone this far without eating most or all of the eggs. Coralbandit truly has the best rams ever!

Thinking about mixing in RO water with my tap if it might get them to look/spawn better, especially the way these rams are parenting. But our tap is 3 gh, 8KH. I thought that would be soft enough for ram spawning especially with driftwood.

And just like that, they ate the eggs! Not worried about it since they were definitely no good. Gonna take the opportunity to get prepared for the next spawn, whenever that is.

Considering how the rams are doing, I'm definitely thinking about going with parent-raised fish for at least a little while. That's making me consider another option for the 20H: Breeding bristlenose plecos. My friend with a couple of 10 gallons has realized that his bristlenose pleco is going to outgrow his 10 gallon sooner than he can get a 29 so he's giving it to me. Maybe I'll try and spawn it!

CB, how long does it roughly take GBR's to produce eggs? I'm curious and sini is busy xD

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

CB, how long does it roughly take GBR's to produce eggs? I'm curious and sini is busy xD

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Pretty sure they can go every couple weeks. I've even heard accounts where the male will . constantly pester the female to the point of death. Raising the eggs properly seems to be a fine art.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Pretty sure they can go every couple weeks. I've even heard accounts where the male will . constantly pester the female to the point of death. Raising the eggs properly seems to be a fine art.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

^Right there^

I have seen 9 day cycle with some but eggs are removed immediately so the couple just moves faster.
In general 2-3 weeks if they are allowed to tend eggs.
I believe they breed in cycles like discus being on for 12-14 weeks off for 6-8weeks and on again.
I know many can manipulate them to continuos breed but the life expectancy of either male or female is shortened IMO.
I have had both sexes breed to death in the last 2 years.
Some males are really tough on their girls while others make the best pair in the world.
They can be funny fish.:banghead:

Back
Top Bottom