Sinibotia's & MissGurnus's various builds!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The 24/7 is nice, but I wish you could set the different colors at different levels and have them all on. You can only dim one color at a time now

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I enjoy my Current Satellite LED Plus. Not as strong as 24/7 but being fully controllable is fun. I snagged it off CL with the matching Current timer for $50. 48-60" model.

Jesse

Aquarium hobby around here is pretty weak so there's nothing on craigslist. I like these lights but they're way more expensive than I'd like for just some simple low-light plants. Trying to stay below 80 on lighting.

I personally don't know of any LED units in that price range. I think the Current Sat+ runs around 90-95$ on amazon. Maybe look into a T5HO shop light from Lowes/home depot? They are quad units around $40 IIRC, but I'm pretty sure you'll not need more than 1 bulb for your goals. I had an Oddysea quad t5 running two bulbs over my 55g cichlid tank (no plants) and grew algae in every color of the rainbow in a few days lol

Jesse

I personally don't know of any LED units in that price range. I think the Current Sat+ runs around 90-95$ on amazon. Maybe look into a T5HO shop light from Lowes/home depot? They are quad units around $40 IIRC, but I'm pretty sure you'll not need more than 1 bulb for your goals. I had an Oddysea quad t5 running two bulbs over my 55g cichlid tank (no plants) and grew algae in every color of the rainbow in a few days lol

Jesse

Finnex Stingray is an LED a little under $70 which is why I was leaning towards it. Other options would be brooder lamps with CFLs or something in that DIY sort of spectrum.
http://www.amazon.com/Finnex-Stingr...1445563346&sr=1-1&keywords=finnex+stingray+48

I think the stingray would do low/med just fine.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Did a water change with 50% RO water today on the ram tank (so the tank is now 25% RO, 75% tap), and fed them some bloodworms. Here's hoping they spawn again soon!

For the discus tank- I know some people say daily water changes; others say weekly is fine. Thoughts?

Did a water change with 50% RO water today on the ram tank (so the tank is now 25% RO, 75% tap), and fed them some bloodworms. Here's hoping they spawn again soon!

For the discus tank- I know some people say daily water changes; others say weekly is fine. Thoughts?

Work them them rams dude!!
It is ram season IMO.:brows:
Next time take out more then you put back to increase % of ro...
I am doing mid week changes of 35% and over 50% on weekends and they are looking like every 14 days or so....
This is on 10gs so no biggy effort wise..
They and the eggs seem to like 70-80 TDS....
I kept discus(not well) for several years in my 180 dt with 50% weekly on average.
After 2 years of age most of the 'push' is over and they are regular fish or the rapid growth part/heavy feeding is over is more what I mean.
Let your trates tell you what to do...And Poppa!

Oh, I also added 3 more angelicus loaches! Never stop the loaches, NEVER! (Ok, I'm actually done after the zebra loaches for the discus tank....) Heirarchy is developing nicely as well as size in the yoyos.

Thanks for the advice CB. Gonna add more RO to get to 50/50 RO to tap. Also conditioning them on bloodworms and they look GORGEOUS.

No progress on the 55 cycling, but I added a handful of plants and some root tabs and pointed a desk lamp at them. Hopefully they'll grow and spread some before I get the stingray light.

Plants+desk lamp (Which will be redirected when I get a real light of course!)

Attachments

• Photo on 10-25-15 at 5.42 PM.jpg
    Photo on 10-25-15 at 5.42 PM.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 47
MissGurnus wants to do a school of angelfish instead of a school of discus now :lol: I'm still hellbent on discus. The best kind of marriage spats :lol:

On the other hand, she might be onto something. Discus are so expensive....

Can you even do a school of angelfish like you could a school of discus? I was under the impression you could but I'm not so sure anymore.

Sinibotia's & MissGurnus's various builds!

MissGurnus wants to do a school of angelfish instead of a school of discus now :lol: I'm still hellbent on discus. The best kind of marriage spats :lol:

On the other hand, she might be onto something. Discus are so expensive....

Can you even do a school of angelfish like you could a school of discus? I was under the impression you could but I'm not so sure anymore.

I think you can, but you need to have only males. But I'm not sure on that, so you might want to wait for someone with more angel knowledge, like Andy.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

I think you can, but you need to have only males. But I'm not sure on that, so you might want to wait for someone with more angel knowledge, like Andy.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Considering what it takes to sex angelfish, I'll probably pass on that if it would take all-males :hide:

Would a breeding pair in a heavily planted 55 have enough space to not kill everything? I'm leaning away from the discus now because of the expense and because of how much work people keep saying they are.

I keptthe pinoy blue pair with 2 pairs of rams in a 40gl without problems. All of them actively spawning as well. It could get ugly. Just depends on the pairs and the territorial layouts and put with them.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I keptthe pinoy blue pair with 2 pairs of rams in a 40gl without problems. All of them actively spawning as well. It could get ugly. Just depends on the pairs and the territorial layouts and put with them.

Gonna try and have the tank stuffed with plants, plus driftwood for the loaches. I can't imagine the loaches not having space to hide when the angels turn to parent-zillas.

Eye looks not great but seems like she can still see....

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1445823161316.jpg
    1445823161316.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 1445823321484.jpg
    1445823321484.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 48
I haven't come across this in my others. I Just posted some pics of some of the other pinoys. They're right before the 20L plant pics.

Think it's some kind of disease? She's more skittish than the other one but otherwise normal. Just a lot smaller, and that eye pop. I'm hoping it goes away but I have no idea what I would treat with if it were an illness.

On the bright side, MissGurnus and I just impulse-splurged on a proven pair of koi angelfish for the 55! Gonna do that plus a whole mess of zebra loaches and the eel.

AquStockImage.php

fwangelfish1445823013.jpg

Back
Top Bottom