Sinibotia's & MissGurnus's various builds!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It turns out the 3 foot 50 gallon is actually a 4 foot tank... So it's either a 55 or a 75. Fingers crossed for a 75 :D

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's a 55, but there's no upper rim on it. I'm thinking I'll silicone a piece of glass in as a crossbar and use it like that. Does that sound like it would work?

Apparently the tank never had a cross-brace. Thoughts?

So it's a derimmed 55? Can you get the specs on it? I wouldn't buy a derimmed 55, way to tall for no center brace, you could order a new rim. I just did.. pretty easy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's an old tank that never had a cross-brace. How do I euro-brace it? I was just thinking I'd silicone in a glass cross brace

Last edited:
To me "euro bracing" was your idea to silicone a center piece of glass.
It turns out many consider euro bracing to be only on the edges of the tank.
And then there are some who feel euro bracing incorporates both edge glass silicone in place and center pieces as needed.
IMO a single strip of glass down middle who work and be cheapest.
The rim for my used 75g was $50+ and I would not do it again if the tank was not free.
Just me maybe?
I payed $75 for the tank so with time and materials I should have just bought new.
I build everyday so I don't need the pride of aquarium restoration on my resume unless it is a "meta frame"!
To level out lighting you might consider glass on each end also.
This is why many purchase tanks during $ per gallon sale and harvest the glass.
I bet you find glass cheaper?

Well the tank was a free gift, so if I can do the glass bar and silicone for under $55 then I came out ahead of $1 per gallon

Som e good news to make up for yesterday's disappointment! Returned the stand today and found a 55 stand on clearance for $17!

Here comes another problem

Attachments

• 1440003072972.jpg
    1440003072972.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 1440003090010.jpg
    1440003090010.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 87
The stupid stand doesn't line up quite right. I'm not quite as sure if I should be too worried about this. Would it work to just put the tank on it as-is? Or could I cut some styrofoam to fill the gap?

It actually came with a few little cork pads to help even things out. If I just spread those evenly would that work?

Last edited:
I would use the cork as a stop gap

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Stop-gap as in until we can do something different? We could pick up a cheap sheet of foam before we get the new tank next week, but if the cork pads will work well enough long-term we'll just stick with that.

Hmmm.. Level and evenly supported is the route id go.

Hmmm.. Level and evenly supported is the route id go.

I'll probably pick up a sheet of foam to fill the gaps, or cut some foam I already have. Should only cost a few dollars and considering the clearance price I'll still have made out like a bandit.

Moving the 29g tomorrow. Flint, the platies, cories, khuli's and the kubotai all in a bucket for an hour and a half...fun times

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Rimless 55? Awesome! Good luck on the move, I'm sure it shouldn't be too much of a problem! Can't wait to see these tanks all filled and fished! (Don't know if that's even a thing lol :lol:)

Rimless 55? Awesome! Good luck on the move, I'm sure it shouldn't be too much of a problem! Can't wait to see these tanks all filled and fished! (Don't know if that's even a thing lol :lol:)

We're never done with our tanks xD

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

In a moment of weakness the 55 gallon stocking plan changes. Rainbowfish are out. Yoyo loaches are in! Moved the 29 today and added 5 adorable little guys :D

Attachments

• 1440291083570.jpg
    1440291083570.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 69
Apparently the biofilter did not survive the trip down.... Ammo is at 1ppm this morning....

Almost willing to try Safestart at this point; moved a filter pad from the 20 gallon to try to get some ammonia processing going.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom