Sinibotia's & MissGurnus's various builds!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't see "new" in the more tank chant !:rolleyes:

Need MORE tanks.(y)

They are all USED once you fill them up!:whistle::facepalm:

Still needing more is usually a sign of success....:dance:

Morning!...err afternoon everyone! Hope everyone enjoys their families and food!

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Got a new ram spawn this evening! Getting the ram raft ready as we speak, I'll remove the dish early tomorrow. The angelfish are getting ready but they'll get a chance to pair raise.

My rams did 3 spawns in 3 weeks and have not spawned once in 3 or 4 weeks now, hope yours don't do the same.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My rams did 3 spawns in 3 weeks and have not spawned once in 3 or 4 weeks now, hope yours don't do the same.

Considering how many fry I have I could afford a gap like that :lol: Do you think there's any reason they haven't spawned?

No idea. I've kept up on water changes, and if anything I've made the water better by adding RO. The tank is fed one cube of frozen a day, up from half a cube everyother day, and I would add some live blackworms once a week. They eat like kings and queens!

No idea. I've kept up on water changes, and if anything I've made the water better by adding RO. The tank is fed one cube of frozen a day, up from half a cube everyother day, and I would add some live blackworms once a week. They eat like kings and queens!

Wow, that's better than what I do. They split a daily cube of frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp with my multis and get 60% RO. Although I do feed them flakes as well every other day, maybe you should add something "comprehensive" like a flake or a pellet of some kind?

The frozen is 3 different inverts (blood worms, mysis shrimp, and brine shrimp) so I was thinking that was enough for a comprehensive diet. I'll alternate the days i feed flake and frozen for a week to see if things improve though.

New batch of eggs has been added to the ram raft with MB! Let's see how these turn out. I'm looking for a much bigger hatch this time.

In other news, Ann is still at work... Anyone who went out for Black Friday you better have been nice to your cashiers!!!

So, remember when I said that I only had like 100 angelfish wigglers? Pretty sure I waaaay underestimated that.... More like 200 freeswimmers at this point.

Ram eggs are coming along nicely, no fungus this time!

Hate to say i told ya so.... Buuuut, lol. ? keep rollin. Your doing great brother.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hate to say i told ya so.... Buuuut, lol. ? keep rollin. Your doing great brother.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Can't wait till I have one more pair of angels to get some reeeaaallly nice stock. I'm already thinking about pairing offspring of the kois and pandas....

So, remember when I said that I only had like 100 angelfish wigglers? Pretty sure I waaaay underestimated that.... More like 200 freeswimmers at this point.

Ram eggs are coming along nicely, no fungus this time!

Not to put a damper on things but to give to some real world experience: Angelfish give you lots of babies to play with however, and this is an estimate based on hundreds of pairs, you should not expect more than 100-150 salable fish from a spawn. That was the average I was keeping. Doesn't matter that I had 500+ fry from a single spawn. There is going to be a lot of culling along the way. Some deformities don't happen until the fish are months old ( as I am finding now.:banghead:) Some of my fish now are perfect at dime size but bent and twisted at nickle + size. So, if you want to be part of the new Angelfish revolution and only supply GREAT quality fish, you will want to raise this first batch of fish to a larger size to see what they do. You may be surprised at what you find....especially with Kois. :whistle: Then once you know what to expect, you will be able to selectively keep the good fish for the next generation of your breeders and sell off the good fish that remain. Once you get a few generations in, then you will have spawns where you can be pretty certain that when you sell a small sized fish, it will remain a quality fish. (y) In other words, get some more tanks. :brows::lol:(y)

Not to put a damper on things but to give to some real world experience: Angelfish give you lots of babies to play with however, and this is an estimate based on hundreds of pairs, you should not expect more than 100-150 salable fish from a spawn. That was the average I was keeping. Doesn't matter that I had 500+ fry from a single spawn. There is going to be a lot of culling along the way. Some deformities don't happen until the fish are months old ( as I am finding now.:banghead:) Some of my fish now are perfect at dime size but bent and twisted at nickle + size. So, if you want to be part of the new Angelfish revolution and only supply GREAT quality fish, you will want to raise this first batch of fish to a larger size to see what they do. You may be surprised at what you find....especially with Kois. :whistle: Then once you know what to expect, you will be able to selectively keep the good fish for the next generation of your breeders and sell off the good fish that remain. Once you get a few generations in, then you will have spawns where you can be pretty certain that when you sell a small sized fish, it will remain a quality fish. (y) In other words, get some more tanks. :brows::lol:(y)

That is exactly what we plan! Our angels should be around quarter size before we plan on selling them. And I'd be happy with 50 saleable fish out of this bunch. Just enough to fund another breeding tank ;)

As for more tanks, I should come back from my parent's place in CT after new years with half a dozen new 10's, a 26, a 30 breeder and a few other miscellaneous tanks.

I would concentrate on larger grow out tanks for now rather than 10s ( if those are for the Angels.) I currently have 30 gal breeders that aren't large enough for a single spawn so unless I get rid of a lot of fry without knowing whether they are going to bring in any money, a single tank will not do. Just saying. ;)

Those tanks are just stuff my parents have sitting in their attic so I may as well take them. Whatever I make on these spawns of angels and rams will go towards a double stand of 40 breeders for more growout tanks.

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've got a very good fishkeeping buddy joining the forum, he worked with me on the seagull poop project this summer!

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom