Sinibotia's & MissGurnus's various builds!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
2 hours. Had it in a bucket of tankwater so I dunno what happened.

Best guess is the big change in water quality caused an issue.... But I didn't think BB needed acclimating.

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

2 hours. Had it in a bucket of tankwater so I dunno what happened.

Best guess is the big change in water quality caused an issue.... But I didn't think BB needed acclimating.

Not sure how the bb would handle temperature changes, but where there any drastic changes? Sloshing around in the car should have been enough to keep oxygen levels up and give them "flow". Maybe a ph difference?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yoyos are crazy, have fun with them!

Yeah, they're some of my favorites. I'm basically recreating the growout Ioach tank of my youth but with fewer and more permanent loachy residents. And no ich this time!

Not sure how the bb would handle temperature changes, but where there any drastic changes? Sloshing around in the car should have been enough to keep oxygen levels up and give them "flow". Maybe a ph difference?

Yeah the water here is much softer- about 3 times softer (from well water to average city water) Didn't think that would bother the BB THAT much

Ammo is now 2. We're going to have to assume the biofilter is kaput; time for water changes, ammolock and a bottle of Safestart.

Commence scolding me for bad fishkeeping :banghead:

Edit: so some googling suggests that ammolock gives legitimately false positives for ammonia. Buying Safestart anyway.... But hopefully it's false positives...

Last edited:
I dont trust ammolocks readings either. Prime and WCs.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

We don't have prime right now, I just ran out. Ammolock supposedly does the same thing as far as neutralizing ammonia.

I know Petsmart and maybe petco carry Prime. If your close to one it might be worth checking out.

We'll pick some up soon, but it isn't a priority while we have separate things on hand that do the same thing combined.

So-safe start added. Water change soon. Java moss and a used filter pad added to the tank. I can't think of another way to reduce ammonia. As a last resort I may move some fish into the 20 gallon

Aside from ammo lock and water conditioner I'm not using chemical. Just trying to use any proven means to remove ammonia- plants and bacteria and water changes.

Last edited:
I don't know for certain. I know there is debate on Prime messing with bacteria booster products due to how it binds ammonia. I'm not a scientist, and I haven't looked up specifics. Do you not have seeded media to spread around to the tank needing it?

Jesse

I do have seeded media but I worry it isn't fast enough with things as they are. I don't want to risk the pinoy blue angels by stealing the sponge filter from that tank.

Mini cycle IMO.
Bio is not kaput.
Be patient if you used ammo lock then believe in it .
I believe all things lioke this(prime,ammo lock amquel,nova aqua) all still register the nutrient even though they have converted it to safer form.
I don't think the ammo lock (type product ) will have any effect on the TSS,
BUT IMO the TSS is a questionable move as it doesn't come in stages(like stage 1 for ammonia or stage 2 for nitrite...)So you added more ammonia and some bacteria...
Your tanks still have bacteria in them you didn't kill it IMO.
Pull 50% add back 0nly 25% then pull 50% tomorrow and add back 50 keeping tank at 75% volume to make water changes easier if this last more then a day or two.
I think it will pass in a day two?

Back
Top Bottom