Sinibotia's & MissGurnus's various builds!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mb has done me well... Havent found a better way yet. Im tempted to try H2o2... Its harder with discs though. With the rents being in tank and all.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not sure you would want to do h2o2 in the main tank. It seems to also kill off the nitrifying bacteria in the filters as well. ( It was one of my experiments.) I tried it with my cory eggs and kept an established sponge filter in the tank along with the aerators and got a huge hatch out but by the 3rd day the ammonia level was so high it killed the fry. With my current ammonia situation, an established sponge filter will keep the ammonia levels in check when no medications of any kind are present so I have to assume the biological was destroyed by the peroxide. ( M Blue should also do the same so no meds in with a sponge filter.) So for parent raising fish, I suggest just let the parents do the work. ;)(y)

Wow step out for a moment and I haven't even caught up on half subbed threads!
sini I MB as I intro eggs to container.
I am surprised someone would just think the eggs could be infertile...
Or that maybe a couple eggs are and then they infect the rest or touching???

I like MB myself...

While we are all here...

Andy you mentioned using air stone and not a sponge for your angel fry the first couple days??
As nitrates may be an issue also?
Is this for angels only ?
I realize how stupid this sounds but I have to have clarification...
Sometimes I think I read things in my head!:nono:
At what age are the fry given a cycled sponge?

Wow step out for a moment and I haven't even caught up on half subbed threads!
sini I MB as I intro eggs to container.
I am surprised someone would just think the eggs could be infertile...
Or that maybe a couple eggs are and then they infect the rest or touching???

I like MB myself...

While we are all here...

Andy you mentioned using air stone and not a sponge for your angel fry the first couple days??
As nitrates may be an issue also?
Is this for angels only ?
I realize how stupid this sounds but I have to have clarification...
Sometimes I think I read things in my head!:nono:
At what age are the fry given a cycled sponge?

Here's a couple of things about M. Blue: It is an oxygen carrier so it is possible ( not something I have ever deeply looked into) that the reason it works so well on eggs is because it extra oxygenates the water making even the weaker sperm or eggs less definite to fail. ( Just a hunch on my part). M Blue is also almost impossible to overdose. That's it's biggest plus (y)

Here's the thing with my situation: Using a sponge filter in with the eggs made it possible for the ammonia to be converted and not cause issues with the wigglers. The problem was the end product of the sponge filter is nitrates. That was the reason, I believe, that the spawn I tested with just using the sponge filter without any antifungal failed. I tested the nitrate level at T.O.D. and it was higher than 20ppm. So the best answer would be to constantly change water right? But the spawns that had no antifungals and wee not parent raised were greatly smaller than those I used the antifungals on. So to do this for a few fish per spawn just isn't worth my time or effort. Before all this happened, I had a great system and it was working. Massive spawns with 90+% hatchouts. Now, with no antifungals, I get maybe 25%-40% hatchouts. That's not good enough to continue this for me.

As for the schedule, it's airstone until the eggs hatch then a carbon bag goes into the tank to remove the M Blue while adding 1 gal of new water per day. By day 2 or 3 after hatch the M Blue is gone. On the day the fry free swim, the sponge filter goes into the tank, not before. This way, since little to no ammonia is being produced by the fry, there is no need for the nitrate level to be in the tank. Once the fry are starting to feed, daily water changes keep the ammonia level from getting too high that it effects the fry and the rest of the biological cycle reacts accordingly. But now, I have water with nitrates already in it to hatch the fry in if I use the sponge filter and that just doesn't work. :( Even having the water sit in a tank with no bubbling now doesn't give me clean water as there is some ammonia in it from the air inside the building. I just redid that test for these new Guppies I brought back. 1 tank had a sponge filter and brand new water, the other, no movement and new water. The sponge filter tank had a nitrate reading after just 24 hours of about 5ppm with an ammonia reading of 0 while the other tank had an ammonia reading of .25 ppm and that was with a styrofoam cover on the tank. No, it was not sealed tight so some room air was still able to get into the tank. The tap water still registers 0 ammonia so it's not coming from the water.

As for if this is an Angel only situation, I doubt it. Eggs need clean water to hatch and grow in so I doubt any non parent raised eggs would not be effected by the water quality. I'm thinking the reason my Plecos and Guppies are doing okay is because I get pleco spawns just after a water change and the Guppy tanks all have live Naja grass in them and that supposedly is a good nitrate consuming plant. That or the Plecos are just much hardier because the albino cory fry didn't survive long after hatching.

Hope that answers your question. (y)

Late to the party but seriously with my cory eggs I switched to IAL instead of MB. I pulled the eggs but no fungus then. Not sure how angels so with IAL. I really find it to be magic. Lol I have no scientific study to back that statement.

Brenna

What type of cory?

sit in silence...

I bought a plastic shoe box at walmart with the intention of cutting a hole and shoving a sponge in it, got clamps to hang it on the parents tank so it gets consistent mature water and toss an airstone in but fry are segregated...though no fry to test it on :(

6 or so white eggs out of the batch, 9 total. Not bad so far. Hopefully it doesn't get any worse. This spawn is priority #1.

The redhead marbles are eating even better now. Seems like the epsom soaked food really helped.

I know some breeders do this or fast there fish 1 day a week. Helps flush the system.... And keep the intestinal tracts clear.

I bought a plastic shoe box at walmart with the intention of cutting a hole and shoving a sponge in it, got clamps to hang it on the parents tank so it gets consistent mature water and toss an airstone in but fry are segregated...though no fry to test it on :(

This could be an effective method as long as tank water is good parameters.
I float my eggs and wigglers in tanks to save space and heaters,but they are completely separated from tank water mixing , except when I mix it in...

I know some breeders do this or fast there fish 1 day a week. Helps flush the system.... And keep the intestinal tracts clear.

I was actually considering this myself independent of knowing anyone else doing it. Now I feel like I'm just following the herd here :nono: I mostly did it because I thought they were getting hexamita/spironuclease, but I think I'll continue it as a preventative measure.

My entire breeding project flashed before my eyes, power outage :eek: I sat there for an hour blowing on the air line for the panda koi eggs :hide: Thankfully it's back on at least for now....

Up to 9 dead eggs by the way, 12 total :(

You meed a generac whole home back up generator ;) runs once a week whenever you want, switches power over in 20 seconds, and can be remotely monitored

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You meed a generac whole home back up generator ;) runs once a week whenever you want, switches power over in 20 seconds, and can be remotely monitored

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I live in an apartment so I can't :lol: but thanks for the suggestion!

When i lived with my parents we had one those. It was great, 40 miles from anything in any direction so we lost power a lot. It was great to not have to worry about the tanks..

Sini's my personal bucket lugger..er, I mean husband

Back
Top Bottom