Sinibotia's & MissGurnus's various builds!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thought you & the misses had a thread...just finding it for the first time I believe,lotta reading to do here!

sit in silence...

It tends to sit idle sometimes, for various periods of time

Sini's my personal bucket lugger..er, I mean husband

So, I have a new year's resolution to raise more multies this year. I've had a ton of spawns but not a lot of surviving fry and I've sold off all the ones that got big enough to do so. This year I'd like to try to raise a lot more and keep a lot to grow my colony. I've started pipetting bbs into the nests of shells wherever I see fry to try to get them to grow and survive better.

Not much else to report otherwise. Rams ate their spawn overnight, and the redhead marbles are due to spawn any day now and look primed to do so. Gonna leave this spawn with them for sure.

So, I have a new year's resolution to raise more multies this year. I've had a ton of spawns but not a lot of surviving fry and I've sold off all the ones that got big enough to do so. This year I'd like to try to raise a lot more and keep a lot to grow my colony. I've started pipetting bbs into the nests of shells wherever I see fry to try to get them to grow and survive better.

Not much else to report otherwise. Rams ate their spawn overnight, and the redhead marbles are due to spawn any day now and look primed to do so. Gonna leave this spawn with them for sure.

That's a new years resolution I like! Can't wait for updates on it man!

I would be happy if I could just get my multies spawning.

Good luck with all of your fish.

I would be happy if I could just get my multies spawning.

Good luck with all of your fish.

Huh, I got them in the first place because I heard they were so prolific. Mine spawned within a month of getting them. I wonder what's up with yours (and eggheadfish's)

Yup that breeder bug bite you good :lol:

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah, but I need... MORE TANKS! MORE TANKS! MORE TANKS!

They're spawning now! 15 days seems to be their cycle. But I definitely am not taking this batch. I have an open 10 gallon bin but I only have the 26 and the 55 for growouts so I have to be careful...

Nice big spawn this time :D I suppose the non-enriched brine shrimp were the culprit for the lackluster spawn last time.

Oh, we got new flake food today as well... ended up just getting a big container of omega one flakes at Petco for really cheap since we had reward dollars saved up. If it ain't broke...

Aside from that the panda poi pair seems a lot better. Female is out and about. I suspect they may spawn soon...

Sometimes the cycle of egg laying will be a batch of lower amounts...

I'm in the same boat as you on eggs and wanting to leave them with parents for the parents sake,but then I remember I am breeding these fish not keeping them in my DT...:facepalm:
I want what is best for the fish but also to continue to improve the line instead of accept what I get...:whistle:

I'm in the same boat as you on eggs and wanting to leave them with parents for the parents sake,but then I remember I am breeding these fish not keeping them in my DT...:facepalm:
I want what is best for the fish but also to continue to improve the line instead of accept what I get...:whistle:

I agree about keeping breeding the fish, but part of it is a space issue. Right now my two bigger growouts are occupied (the 26 and the 55). I'm only using one of the 15 gallon bins but I don't want to create a log jam in the bigger tanks with spawns of different ages. So for now I'm kinda forced to let them have this one.

Nice big spawn this time :D I suppose the non-enriched brine shrimp were the culprit for the lackluster spawn last time.

For what it's worth, in my experience,for Angels, spawn sizes are based more on diet/health and spawning site. I've found that when the fish spawn on leaves vs slates, the spawn size is smaller just because the area to spawn on is smaller. Age also plays a role but more in frequency than size because an old pair of Angels might produce 800-1000 eggs once a year while younger fish will produce 200-500 every 10-14 days.
This however, does not hold true for all species of fish and might not apply to the more domesticated varieties. (y)

I agree about keeping breeding the fish, but part of it is a space issue. Right now my two bigger growouts are occupied (the 26 and the 55). I'm only using one of the 15 gallon bins but I don't want to create a log jam in the bigger tanks with spawns of different ages. So for now I'm kinda forced to let them have this one.

What???? You are out of space????:eek: Mark the time and the date!!! What was that last post number I told you to mark again? :dance::dance::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: ( Sorry, I couldn't resist. ;):flowers: )

What???? You are out of space????:eek: Mark the time and the date!!! What was that last post number I told you to mark again? :dance::dance::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: ( Sorry, I couldn't resist. ;):flowers: )

Being out of space isn't the same as giving in ;) Once I sell these first few spawns I'll buy two 40 breeders and then I'll have plenty of space! And then I can reserve the 55 for growing out the best offspring as breeders.

They deserve a rest anyway. We're trying to balance their role as livestock and the fact that they are really our pets more so, so we'll probably end up babying them a little when it comes to resting

Being out of space isn't the same as giving in ;) Once I sell these first few spawns I'll buy two 40 breeders and then I'll have plenty of space! And then I can reserve the 55 for growing out the best offspring as breeders.

They deserve a rest anyway. We're trying to balance their role as livestock and the fact that they are really our pets more so, so we'll probably end up babying them a little when it comes to resting

Nobody was talking about giving in, just being out of space. ;);) I still go by the 4 tanks per pair if you want to breed them and actually keep some babies coming.(y)

As for resting the fish, not going to happen. :nono: Only bad water quality or colder water temps truly stops them from breeding. You can take away their slates, their decor and anything else inside the tank and the fish will still spawn when they want. They will use the stems of filters ( even sponge filter stems) or just the bare glass wall. You are not going to stop them any other way. Splitting them up doesn't even always stop the females from laying eggs. That's how prolific an Angelfish can ( and should) be. (y)

Just sayin':whistle:

Oh i didnt mean literally stopping them lol just leaving the eggs this time so they get a little bit of a break

Back
Top Bottom