Siphon clogged?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CameronCade

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was doing a water change and all of the sudden the water stopped. It looks like there is no hole at the base of the siphon? I'm so confused. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• image-1945958602.jpg
    image-1945958602.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 74
There's not usually an open hole, there's a piece of plastic in front of the hole. This stops small fish being sucked up and out when doing the water changes. It could be clogged with anything really, gravel, a dead fish, food or a build up of calcium. There's a few things you could try, remove the tube on the siphon and you might get at the blockage. Try pouring some hot water into the tube or if you think it's calcium, soak it in a water&vinegar solution overnight....

My syphon has a one way valve at the top, thats how they create the syphon effect when you move them up and down to get the water running. It might just need freeing up.

My syphon has a one way valve at the top, thats how they create the syphon effect when you move them up and down to get the water running. It might just need freeing up.

What do I need to do to free it up. I believe it's sand. I think I accidentally scooped some while I was removing all my water from a tank.

What do I need to do to free it up. I believe it's sand. I think I accidentally scooped some while I was removing all my water from a tank.
If you can't remove the hose from it(sometimes they are glued), you could try letting it dry out completely and the sand might loosen, then just firmly tap the top of it or give it a good shake. If that doesn't work, you could try soaking it in the bath, with fairly hot(not boiling) and again give it a good shake..Try the drying out option first...Ian
Ps..Be very carefull with your eyes, you don't want that stuff in your eyes...

If you can't remove the hose from it(sometimes they are glued), you could try letting it dry out completely and the sand might loosen, then just firmly tap the top of it or give it a good shake.

I usually do it this way. Works every time.

If you can't remove the hose from it(sometimes they are glued), you could try letting it dry out completely and the sand might loosen, then just firmly tap the top of it or give it a good shake. If that doesn't work, you could try soaking it in the bath, with fairly hot(not boiling) and again give it a good shake..Try the drying out option first...Ian
Ps..Be very carefull with your eyes, you don't want that stuff in your eyes...

It's not glued and I removed the tubing. I will try that. Thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom