Siphoning into a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Japola44

Aquarium Advice Freak
my siphon fell into the hands of my dog so i have a new one on its way... but i was thinking about how i have to use buckets, because my sink can't hok up to a python. Anyway, a thought came across that maybe i could siphon water into the tank? Has anyone done this? It would spare my lifting my huge bucket into my tank. Just a thought.

the bucket would have to be higher than the water level of the tank to be effective, and or work at all, in other words lift the bucket above the tank and siphon away, hah, sounds usefull ay, why cant you hook a python up to your sink?? they make all sorts of adaptors

the closest sink is my bathroom sink(my tank is in my room) I am sure i could hook it up to the shower head, but i dont trust myself. At all the storse i have been to that sell the python i can't seem to find one that matches up with my tiny little faucet but i will look into the waterbed ones.

I find that a 1" gravel vac fits just tight enough over my bathroom faucet. I just shove that over the tap, attach the other end to a long length of tubing & fill away .... cost less than $10.

Another option is a "water thief" from RV supply place. I use that to fill my RV drinking water from all sort of tap. This is basically a rubber hose that will fit tightly over any faucet - threaded or not. You hook another hose to the other end & fill away... <PS - you should use drinking water hose if you want to try this.>

They do make hand pumps... don't think I'd want to operate one enough to get 5-10 gals of water up into a tank

sounds like you have an adapter on your faucet with smaller head or threads? can that be removed? Or go to the hardware store and find one that can serve as an adapter between the faucet and the python? I would think that if there are threads on it, it can be hooked up to a python by SOMETHING in between? You probably have already thought of this and not been able to?

I used to fill a 39gal trash can with water, dechlor, let it sit, then I'd use a pump to put it into the tank. It worked great but was a bit of a hassle at times.
Pump was about $60 though, as you want one that can clear a 4' head and still has a decent gph at such height.

I asked my dad about it and we have an adapter from when my sister had a water bed that hooks up to my faucet. I will have to go and get a python next week :D
thanks for the help guys

Back
Top Bottom