Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-17-2004, 04:20 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

size and compatibility

I am setting up a 29g brackish and looking at a few choices of livestock. I have seen varying information and would like advice and experience with some of the following. I have listed a summary of the info/ mis-info I have seen for each...

Orange Chromide
I have read these will grow to 3" in length and are very community friendly. prefer semi-planted environment and live food, such as crustacean

Archerfish
reach anywhere from 5" to 12" but closer to 5" in tanks. tolerant of other tank inhabitants, but prefer live food such as ghost shrimp, black worms, small fish. also like semi- to well-planted, and top dwellers. like other archers as tank-mates and tanks size of 50g+

Silver Scat
similar to above, anywhere from 5" to 10" in tanks, similar diet, and like other scats as tank mates. bottom/middle dwellers and detritus "cleaners". also read tank size of 50g+

Current tank inhabitants include 5 rainbow, 3 female fiddlers, and at least 5 ghost shrimp. the shrimp are expendable, the crabs maybe, but dont want the rainbow to be messed with. current salinity is 1.003

Patrick

Old 07-17-2004, 04:49 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Current tank inhabitants include 5 rainbow, 3 female fiddlers, and at least 5 ghost shrimp. the shrimp are expendable, the crabs maybe, but dont want the rainbow to be messed with. current salinity is 1.003
What kind of rainbow is it?

And if the Archerfish and Scat do get that big I wouldn't get them for that tank.

many, many baby mollies
1 small clown loach (~2-2.5", returning to LFS in august)
newaridiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 05:56 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I think one rainbow is a Red Rainbowfish, at least a couple are Blue Rainbowfish. I am really not sure but they all have the shapes/fins of the above.

As for the Scat/ Archer sizes. I am tryig to get a feeling for the "actual tank size" from other experiences as my research has turned up lots of contradicting info. If they truly reach the max size as described above I wouldnt get them either.

Patrick
Old 07-17-2004, 07:11 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

http://watershed3.tripod.com/rainbows.html

That site might help you pick tankmates for your rainbows by helping you figure out the other rainbows
many, many baby mollies
1 small clown loach (~2-2.5", returning to LFS in august)
newaridiar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compatibility

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com