Size of a quarantine tank for Discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krtyr26

Aquarium Advice Regular
What size QT tank would be recommended for say two to three young discus about 2.5 to 3"? Also what would be the safest quickest way to cycle tank before they are added and should I medicate fish with maybe paragard for precautionary measures?

Can only help on the tank cycle. Best way would be to use filter media from an established tank, ideally your own or one you trust.

Can only help on the tank cycle. Best way would be to use filter media from an established tank, ideally your own or one you trust.

I have a sponge filter in big tank along with my canister and hob I was thinking about just transferring the sponge filter to qt tank would that work?

Should do - I've transferred media between tanks with no issues. I find the new tank not quite as robust for the bacterial population still but for QT should be fine.

Many people have mixed opinions of cautionary meds in QT. Some for, some against. I have done both. But Paraguard is a safe medication and will not harm your fish. BUT, if you do it, make sure to medicate for a full month. Don't do it halfway or you can potentially create a superbug that is medication resistant.

Many people have mixed opinions of cautionary meds in QT. Some for, some against. I have done both. But Paraguard is a safe medication and will not harm your fish. BUT, if you do it, make sure to medicate for a full month. Don't do it halfway or you can potentially create a superbug that is medication resistant.

That's good to know, I've used it awhile ago but only for a couple of weeks!

Back
Top Bottom