Skimming the surface

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wxboilermaker

Aquarium Advice Regular
Even with my semi-daily (every other day at the longest) water changes, I'm getting crud accumulating on the surface of the water. My tank is still cycling, so I'm assuming that it is bacterial bloom. There is also some of it in suspension within the tank as the filter forces it downward. I thin it also could be stuff coming off of the drift wood I have in there. My daily water changes don't seem to be getting rid of it as the siphon pulls water from within the tank and is useless for skimming the surface. I tried a net, but it's pretty useless and when I dip with a small cup it just disperses around the cup. Should I worry about getting this stuff out? It is also allowing bubbles that form on the surface to stay, so the top of the water is almost covered in a solid sheet of bubbles.

Bump for you!

I don't know if this would help but maybe using a brine shrimp net would get the stuff since it's mesh is very, very fine unlike your typical aquarium net. Other than that, remove the drift wood and soak it in a bucket. See if it produces the same affect in the bucket. It would probably be a smart idea to boil the wood. Possibly even a very light solution of bleach to soak in briefly.

What I've found to be effective at removing a film from the surface of an aquarium is simple paper towel. Take a couple of sheets and let them lay flat on the water's surface. You'll be amazed at how much of the surface 'crud' that will remove.

You're a doll Sati :) Have a few kudos just for being such a nice person.

In the meantime wx; bacterial blooms won't cause crud on the surface. I'm not sure what you mean by crud tho; is it an oily film? A collection of particles? Why do you think its coming from the driftwood? Have you used any new products? Do you use a water conditioner that has aloe in it? Different answers will mean different solutions...

Yep, you might want to clarify "crud". I've used a paper towel, as Fruitbat suggested, with no problems. I also have a small net that is woven quite fine which I use if there's anything unwanted floating on the surface.

Back
Top Bottom