Skirt Tetra Help!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rei

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, everyone.

I have just started my first aquarium! I did a lot of research beforehand; it’s a 10 gallon tank with a 20 gallon filter, a heater, and it’s cycled for a month. The water parameters have been tested (nitrates, nitrites, chlorine, alkalinity, pH, and ammonia) and everything is good.

Just a few days ago, I purchased 5 GloFish tetras (genetically modified skirt tetras) and a nerite snail and introduced them to the tank. I’m unfamiliar with the breed as my family only had danios and a betta fish before. Overall, I’ve gotten mixed reviews about skirt tetra temperament and I’m concerned that there’s something wrong with mine.

All but one seem to be breathing heavily; 3 are hiding in plants and staying near the glass while the other 2 swim around and seem territorial. I’ve seen one seemingly try to eat off of the ground and one swam in circles for a few hours. I’ve also not seen them school. I also see a white cloudy fuzz on some ornaments, but I think it’s algae?

Can you guys tell me how fast they’re supposed to breath and what their general temperament is like? What have yours been like?

Is the tank cycled?

Do you know your water parameters?

Have you tried a water change to see if things improve?

Hi, Where did you purchase the fish?

I can’t answer for the GloFish variety but I have 4 black skirt tetras I purchased from a reputable local fish store and they have been great! I actually was still cycling my 29 gallon tank at the time I bought them, and they have been through that (hell) and have lasted almost a year so far. They are relatively chill. Not too much personality but super hardy; eat everything I give them, and get along well with all their tank mates (mainly mollies and 2 plecos).

I would do daily water changes to start. If you feel like they may have brought something home from the store, and all of your water parameters look good, I would try those three quarantine meds that the aquarium co-op recommends (Maracyn; Paracleanse; IchX)

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/faqs/how-to-use-quaratine-med-trio

Also, IMHO they should not be hiding or swimming in circles after tank assimilation (few days). Mine will school quite often, even though there are only 4. Initially, when I saw one of them breathing heavily, I discovered high ammonia in the tank; luckily, I got to it fast. Nowadays, I rely on an Ammonia Alert patch.

Yes, it cycled for a month. I just tested the water and everything is at a normal level. I’ve been trying to wait a few days before a water change so that I won’t stress them further.

Also, IMHO they should not be hiding or swimming in circles after tank assimilation (few days). Mine will school quite often, even though there are only 4. Initially, when I saw one of them breathing heavily, I discovered high ammonia in the tank; luckily, I got to it fast. Nowadays, I rely on an Ammonia Alert patch.

I’ll definitely get one of those patches; I didn’t know they existed! However, I checked the ammonia and everything is fine on that front.

Hi, Where did you purchase the fish?

I can’t answer for the GloFish variety but I have 4 black skirt tetras I purchased from a reputable local fish store and they have been great! I actually was still cycling my 29 gallon tank at the time I bought them, and they have been through that (hell) and have lasted almost a year so far. They are relatively chill. Not too much personality but super hardy; eat everything I give them, and get along well with all their tank mates (mainly mollies and 2 plecos).

I would do daily water changes to start. If you feel like they may have brought something home from the store, and all of your water parameters look good, I would try those three quarantine meds that the aquarium co-op recommends (Maracyn; Paracleanse; IchX)

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/faqs/how-to-use-quaratine-med-trio

I also got my fish from a local fish store! Thank you for giving me insight on their personality. I’m so used to danios, who are bursting at the seams with personality and vigor. I believe they have brought some sort of bacterial infection from the pet store and I’m going to buy some medicine to put in the tank. Thank you so much!!!

Back
Top Bottom