skirt tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pantherspawn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK, so I just put five black skirt and 4 gold skirt tetras in my planted tank, I thought these were peaceful shoaling fish? They do nothing but chase and harass eschother. Don't shoal together very well, and I'm worried they're stressing eachother out too much.. is this just something that will go away once they settle and find their niche.. or am I going to have to pull drastic measures with them?

I also don't want to have to worry about messing with other fish once I out them in with them ... these things are almost as nasty as cichlids.

I have black skirts in one of my planted tanks and not only are they very peaceful but they are one of the best schooling fish in that tank.

I'd give them sometime to settle into the new tank. What else do you have in there and how big is the tank?

Last edited:
Its a 55gallon doing a silent cycle with 2 candy stripe pleco and snails. Nothing else. All parameters are normal and in check.

That should be plenty of room to keep them happy. If they aren't actually nipping, then I say give them some more time. Hope they settle in for you!

My black skirts are probably the least aggressive in our tank, they stick together and leave everyone else alone. Our tiger barbs on the other hand are a different story they try to nip everyone in our 55 gal so now they are in a 29 gal.

Yeah 5 days in and they are still very nippy towards eahother. They don't shoal too much either.. guess I will just have to watch them when I introduce other varieties down the road.

Yup..kept my school of black skirts for a few weeks and then took them back. Nasty little buggers. Plus, they just didn't do anything the least bit interesting lol. IMO that is ;)

I'd hate to have to raid them back. I wanted this planted tank to be a tetra tank.. but most tetras are more docile and I worry about the smaller ones being bullied. Which most all other tetras are smaller correct?

No there are lots of larger tetras like the skirts. I really like the diamond tetra and columbian tetra..they are larger species as well.

Have to agree with siva. Have had white skirts and tried black skirts and they were unrelenting, nasty bullies.

Worst tetra ever.

My BST fought for 1 week until they settled there territory. Now they are calm beautiful fish.

All of my lfs have such poor selection on anything non cichlid.. I didn't personally like the fish but got them for being more hardy while silent cycling. And being a tetra specific tank.. figured they'd eventually fit.. not so sure now. I don't know what I would replace them with even if I had to take them back..

Back
Top Bottom